CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

First time snake owner. Loving it!

Old 08-22-2015, 03:40 PM   #11
Haight
So I got a picture of him from underneath his tank with a ruler next to him so that I could more accurately measure him with serpwidget, and he came out at approx. 14".

Old 08-22-2015, 04:39 PM   #12
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haight View Post
I spoke with the breeder again today when I went in to buy more pinkies and he confirmed with me (via his log book) that my amel was certainly hatched on the 24th of July. I asked him again about the weight and he said that it was his son (who looks to be high school age) that weighed and recorded the snakes the day before I purchased him, and that it was possible that there could have been an error. Upon checking the weights of the rest of the clutch and noticing that my amel was 3 grams heavier than the next one he said that an error was most likely the case, however he has seen a month old at that weight before.
I know that before I got him he had 3 meals, one of which the breeder said was two "small" pinkies. I'm new to this so I'm not sure how much smaller a small pinkie is than a normal pinkie, but there it is. Starting to sound like he might not be as big as I've been led to believe.
No worries here though. He seems to be doing well with the pinkies (no regurgitation), and I will plan to weigh him once he defecates. Are there any other signs other than regurgitation that could indicate that he is having problems digesting the two pinkies?
I suppose it is possible he weighed the snake after feeding, so it was snake weight + pinky weight...?
That baby would have had to hatch pretty big to be 14 grams in one month.

I would probably stick with one large pinky per feeding, especially since he's in a new home.

Regurges are hard on them, and if they regurge a few times, they could end up dying.

Old 08-22-2015, 05:04 PM   #13
Haight
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
I suppose it is possible he weighed the snake after feeding, so it was snake weight + pinky weight...?
That baby would have had to hatch pretty big to be 14 grams in one month.

I would probably stick with one large pinky per feeding, especially since he's in a new home.

Regurges are hard on them, and if they regurge a few times, they could end up dying.
I'll do that. How long after feeding him two pinkies should I wait to hold handle him in order to provide him the proper time to digest? In other words, how long until I can be sure that he won't regurge?

Old 08-22-2015, 06:53 PM   #14
Haight
Spoke with the breeder again today, and I was able to determine that the parents were a female candycane and a male amel. Does that mean that it is possible that Slinky shows traits of a candycane? I've seen the male, and he is mostly orange with very dull red spots. Should I expect Slinky to look like him when he is an adult?

Old 08-22-2015, 06:57 PM   #15
Haight
I should've waited to post all at once...so many questions.
Is it possible that Slinky is a Reverse Okeetee?
I was looking through Ivan's Viv website and that is the morph that seems to fit him best. Can anyone confirm this?

Old 08-22-2015, 07:09 PM   #16
DollysMom
I'm no expert, having only one snake, but your snake looks totally stuffed. I'm glad he hasn't regurged. Just on looks one pinkie is more than enough at his point. I'm looking at my feeding records and I had my snake for seven weeks before moving to 2 small pinkies (2 gram) a feeding. I have no birthdate but mine was 15 grams. I did not weigh mine at first but he was 12 grams after 3.5 weeks and his first shed with me.

It is better to underfeed slightly than over feed IMHO. One pinky every 5 or 6 days is what I'd recommend at this point.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:13 PM   #17
Haight
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
I'm no expert, having only one snake, but you snake looks totally stuffed. I'm glad he hasn't regurged. Just on looks one pinkie is more than enough at his point. I'm looking at my feeding records and I had my snake for seven weeks before moving to 2 small pinkies (2 gram) a feeding. I have no birthdate but mine was 15 grams. I did not weigh mine at first bu he was 12 grams after 3.5 weeks and his first shed with me.

It is better to underfeed slightly than over feed IMHO. One pinky every 5 or 6 days is what I'd recommend at this point.
Definitely going to be heeding that advice for his next feeding. Fortunately I was able to catch sight of him today as he was moving from one hide to the other and it appears that he has almost completely digested the two. Just to make sure that he didn't regurge I pulled everything out and sifted through his substrate and found nothing. Luckily he was wasn't scared of me and actually started climbing up my hand as I was reaching in. I was very tempted to take him out and hold him but I held off. I think I am going to give him another 24 hours before I take him out. I feel like I dodged a very large and fast moving bullet here. I'll be sure to do more thorough research anytime in the future when I am unsure. I guess I just thought that he wouldn't eat a second one if he couldn't handle it. I know better now.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:17 PM   #18
DollysMom
P.S. I'm posting on my iPad, and somehow missed the second page. I see that you are already going with the one pinky recommendation.

I'm no morph expert, so I hesitate to even answer. To me your snake looks like an amel but not a reverse Okeetee. I'm sure the morph experts will come in and correct me.

I also forgot to congratulate you on your snake. I think he's really cute. It doesn't really matter what morph they are unless you're going to breed. What's more important is how cute they are and that you love them.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:21 PM   #19
Haight
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
P.S. I'm posting on my iPad, and somehow missed the second page. I see that you are already going with the one pinky recommendation.

I'm no morph expert, so I hesitate to even answer. To me your snake looks like an amel but not a reverse Okeetee. I'm sure the morph experts will come in and correct me.

I also forgot to congratulate you on your snake. I think he's really cute. It doesn't really matter what morph they are unless you're going to breed. What's more important is how cute they are and that you love them.
Haha thanks. I think he is absolutely adorable. I am just a really curious guy =p. Who knows, maybe one day I will get into breeding. I'm not averse to the idea.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:23 PM   #20
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haight View Post
Definitely going to be heeding that advice for his next feeding. Fortunately I was able to catch sight of him today as he was moving from one hide to the other and it appears that he has almost completely digested the two. Just to make sure that he didn't regurge I pulled everything out and sifted through his substrate and found nothing. Luckily he was wasn't scared of me and actually started climbing up my hand as I was reaching in. I was very tempted to take him out and hold him but I held off. I think I am going to give him another 24 hours before I take him out. I feel like I dodged a very large and fast moving bullet here. I'll be sure to do more thorough research anytime in the future when I am unsure. I guess I just thought that he wouldn't eat a second one if he couldn't handle it. I know better now.
Lol. Looks like we were posting at the same time. I'm so glad there was no regurge. You know we all learn. I've made lots of mistakes. Fortunately, none have hurt my snake. No matter how hard you study in advance, when you come on these forums you really start to learn. Also you learn just caring for and observing your snake. I think your snake teaches you more than any book can. Mine is training me quite nicely.

P.S. A small is 2-3 grams and a large 4-5 grams (and there is no actual standard, but that's a good general idea of pinky size.)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google