• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Progression thread: Normal Cape African house snake

Clyde Eats a Fuzzy (frozen thawed) HD

I have to start out by apologizing for the quality. I definitely need a tripod. It was also too dark, but I was able to brighten it up with YouTube's processing. (I didn't replace the thumbnail so that shows how dark it was originally.)

The best thing is I finally got a video of Clyde eating, and near the end it clearly shows how his lower jaw works. You can actually see the lower jaw bones through his skin. In spite of the quality issues, that's still pretty neat.

Clyde was 62 grams at his last weigh in and the fuzzy was 6 grams.

https://youtu.be/HF6k5I3w2xA

What an excellent video. The head-on view is something I've never seen. His mouth works differently from the corns. What a good boy eating that huge mousy! Does he always eat in his viv? Why? Should I do the same with Coco when she arrives? You feed Mandy and Cleo in a bin, right? I bin my corns.

It's interesting, different species have different ways of getting established, some almost all only eat in a small, dark, confined space and others will mostly only start if you disturb them as little as possible, sneak the mouse in near their hide and leave them be for a few hours.
The House snakes in the main seem to be the latter type but after eating consistently for awhile, become much less shy.

Coco is used to eating in her viv but has passed the shy stage of eating and is now at the boldly enthusiastic stage, so you can probably feed her in any manner you chose.

Thank you DLena and Tavia.

Clyde eats in his viv. Tavia has already explained, but I got Clyde at 8 grams and he was a very shy eater. In fact my pinkies were too big and his first 1.5 months he ate one or two pinky halves. Then in December I got a bag of day olds and started him on whole pinkies. He's been on fuzzies since April. At this point he's just about ready for large fuzzies, or two small fuzzies -- I'm feeding 10% of his weight for now. Here's his iHerp:

http://www.iherp.com/Public/Animals/ViewAnimal.aspx?AnimalID=182861

I tried feeding him in a bin but he wasn't interested. So I'm sticking with his comfort zone. He eats enthusiastically and grabs the mouse from the tongs.

They are all so different. I'm sure you will learn Coco's preferences very quickly, DLena!

Oh I have definitely looked into Tavia's house snakes :) Love the albino. I think that's pretty much how I'm going since everyone raves about these guys.

And they have much the same eating habit as my hog. I tried feeding with tongs once and he freaked and refused the meal. I felt bad. But if I sneak it in without him seeing me, no problem.

Hi Magdalen. I'm glad you are looking into it. Yes, the albinos are lovely and Tavia's babies out of Indigo and Ukiah are so precious!

I had my heart set on a little normal male and when I saw Clyde's picture in the classifieds here at the end of October last year, I knew he was the one. I had named him before even I paid for him!

Each snake has its feeding preferences. At this point all three of mine take their food from the tongs. I don't really care if they do it standing on their little snakey heads as long as they eat!

Clyde is 23 inches long and weighs 66 grams!

IYVjJaEl.jpg

Getting to be a huge boy now! He probably won't grow very much more length wise but should gain most of it in weight this year.

Getting to be a huge boy now! He probably won't grow very much more length wise but should gain most of it in weight this year.

Thanks for the heads up on the growth pattern. I'll definitely keep you posted!

He is a big boy! So handsome. I love his facial colors.

Thanks. He's gotten very shiny, especially on his head, and is taking on a more mature look.

:)

This is the best photo session I've had with Clyde for a while. He was such a good boy for me today.

I love how the scales on his tail end are so different from his head end.

oRXoHXTl.jpg

I9HXGmnl.jpg

wrWl7dkl.jpg

mLKxVtZl.jpg

KenNga0l.jpg

qfyNhWDl.jpg

eZ8mPCul.jpg

Back