CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

My first snake

Old 10-12-2010, 01:45 AM   #1
sonofbry13
Smile My first snake

I purchased my first snake. I've had lizards and all sorts of pets. Was just a matter of time till I got a snake. After doing a ton of research I settled on a corn snake. Researched breeders and picked one I liked. They were great to work with and a ton of help. Snake (female snow) arrived healthy and ate her first pinkie with me just a few days after arrival. Currently I have her in a 10gal tank with aspen shavings and a UTH. She has two hides one over the heat pad and one on the opposite side of the tank.

I'm a little concerned. She spends a lot of time hiding and I haven't seen her since Saturday. It's been nine days since her last feeding and not sure when I need to be concerned. She took her first pinkie with no problem. I've attempted two feedings Saturday and yesterday with no luck. She still wont let me handle her so reluctant to dig her up from her burrow and put her in a dish.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I would like to get her more social so she's out more and I can handle her. It would also be great if she ate with no fuss all the time but that is probably a long shot. Seems most snakes don't stay regular from what I've read.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:14 AM   #2
MysticExotics
First of all, welcome!
I'm guessing that you got a baby, since it's eating pinkies, correct?
The general recommendation is to let them be, for a week, to give them time to adjust to being in a new home. It's great that she ate for you a few days after you got her.
Wait 5 days in between attempting to feed. You don't want to stress her out by offering to much, that could make her more reluctant to eat.
Do a search on problem feeders, there's various ways to try to get them to eat.
Some people have better luck at some ways than others.
Babies generaly are pretty squirmy. They think everything/everyone is going to eat them, so they either try to get away, or they get defensive, & try to bite (which doesn't hurt at all, btw).
Give her time to settle in, & in time, she will get used to being handled. It may take a while, babies can be like that, so don't worry.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
sonofbry13
Oops left that out. Yup she is just a baby hatched mind June. I'll hold off a few more days before trying to feed again. Thank you for the advice!

Old 10-13-2010, 09:43 PM   #4
Tavia
It's also possible that she is going into shed. I have a few that won't eat at certain times of the shed cycle & one that won't eat for about the whole 10 days of his shed. They also tend to be more skittish when in shed.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:47 AM   #5
rob&spence331
I have a baby corn as well and it's my first snake and sometimes it's shy, but starting to come around. On a good day it'll come right to me when i open the cage and reach in. Most times i have to put my hand toward it slowly and wait till it either tries to escape or finally decides it will let me take it out. when it tries to escape i just put my other hand on the side it's escaping from allowing it to slither right out of the cage and onto my hand. Then there are days that it just wants to be left alone and it will go hide till the screen is latched. lol.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
Jessicat
Welcome!

It's AWESOME to see someone who has done adequate research before buying their new Corn!! Congratulations!

It's pretty common for new babies to hide a lot at first.. especially if they are in a large open tank. Increase the amount of hides, even if they are just toilet paper rolls, add some fake vines and leaves, maybe another layer of aspen. Also, cover the top and sides with a cloth or fabric of some sort. The baby will feel much more secure and you'll most likley see her out and about more often.

10gal is a good starter size, but without a lot of "ground cover" babies feel shy and hide a lot during the day. I NEVER saw my first snake, and I kept him in a somewhat bare 10gal tank.

Now I keep babies in tubs, or smaller kritter keepers. Here's a link to one of my recent set ups for a baby I felt was too small to go into my rack right away. I see my babies MUCH MORE in smaller containers that have more hides.
http://s368.photobucket.com/albums/o...0080101_05.jpg

I think you'll be fine if you stick with your 10gal set up and just add more hides and cover to it!

Another trick is to pay more attention to your snake's enclosure in the evenings. They have a tendency to become more active and dusk and dawn.

Yet another thing to consider is how much traffic there is near your snake's set up. If the tank is in the living room, or a loud area, try moving your snake to your room, or somewhere a little more quiet.

As far as the feeding goes, sometimes when I have a reluctant feeder I put a paper towel down right in front of one of their hides (in their tank), and place the pinkie there. If I'm successful I do this a few more times before attempting a feeding out of the tank again. Sometimes babies get freaked out when you move them to a separate tank. They feel more comfortable in the dark and familiar areas.
Also, wait about 10 days in between food offerings for every refusal. Seems extreme, but offering food too often can create a negative association with food for the snake and can actually prolong the time period that they refuse. Hopefully you'll have a great eater soon considering that your snake ate for you right away!

Alright, that's all I can think of for now! Good luck, and lets see some pictures! Also, who did you get your snake from?

Old 10-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
collrak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicat View Post
Welcome!

It's AWESOME to see someone who has done adequate research before buying their new Corn!! Congratulations!

It's pretty common for new babies to hide a lot at first.. especially if they are in a large open tank. Increase the amount of hides, even if they are just toilet paper rolls, add some fake vines and leaves, maybe another layer of aspen. Also, cover the top and sides with a cloth or fabric of some sort. The baby will feel much more secure and you'll most likley see her out and about more often.

10gal is a good starter size, but without a lot of "ground cover" babies feel shy and hide a lot during the day. I NEVER saw my first snake, and I kept him in a somewhat bare 10gal tank.

Now I keep babies in tubs, or smaller kritter keepers. Here's a link to one of my recent set ups for a baby I felt was too small to go into my rack right away. I see my babies MUCH MORE in smaller containers that have more hides.
http://s368.photobucket.com/albums/o...0080101_05.jpg

I think you'll be fine if you stick with your 10gal set up and just add more hides and cover to it!

Another trick is to pay more attention to your snake's enclosure in the evenings. They have a tendency to become more active and dusk and dawn.

Yet another thing to consider is how much traffic there is near your snake's set up. If the tank is in the living room, or a loud area, try moving your snake to your room, or somewhere a little more quiet.

As far as the feeding goes, sometimes when I have a reluctant feeder I put a paper towel down right in front of one of their hides (in their tank), and place the pinkie there. If I'm successful I do this a few more times before attempting a feeding out of the tank again. Sometimes babies get freaked out when you move them to a separate tank. They feel more comfortable in the dark and familiar areas.
Also, wait about 10 days in between food offerings for every refusal. Seems extreme, but offering food too often can create a negative association with food for the snake and can actually prolong the time period that they refuse. Hopefully you'll have a great eater soon considering that your snake ate for you right away!

Alright, that's all I can think of for now! Good luck, and lets see some pictures! Also, who did you get your snake from?
I'm a first time corn owner as well. Thanks for the great tips about providing extra hides for security and waiting 10 days after meal refusal. I got my 3-month old corn last Sunday and have tried feeding him twice unsuccessfully. After that second attempt, i was going to hold off until Sunday, but now i think i'll wait longer. He probably doesn't feel safe and comfortable yet, so i should give him a lot more alone time.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:53 AM   #8
Jessicat
Quote:
Originally Posted by collrak View Post
I'm a first time corn owner as well. Thanks for the great tips about providing extra hides for security and waiting 10 days after meal refusal. I got my 3-month old corn last Sunday and have tried feeding him twice unsuccessfully. After that second attempt, i was going to hold off until Sunday, but now i think i'll wait longer. He probably doesn't feel safe and comfortable yet, so i should give him a lot more alone time.
Great idea! When you do attempt to feed him if you do want to feed him in a separate enclosure, cover the feeding tub with a shirt or towel.. anything that will make the area dark. Or even put the feeding tub in a closet or dark space. If that doesn't work (which I really hope it does!), there are tons of great tips in Kathy Love and Don Soderberg's books. Even though this site is full of wonderful information, they are GREAT books to own.

Here are a few links to them, they can be ordered online, or even sometimes found at some Pet Stores (my local PetCo has a surprising amount of reptile literature in stock).

Kathy Love's Corn Snake bible:
(scroll down to the bottom of the page. Also, this link has Don's book as well as many other greats)
http://www.cornutopia.com/Corn%20Uto...cornsnakes.htm

If you want a signed copy of Don's Book:
http://www.cornsnake.net/cornsnakesincaptivity.php3

Old 10-14-2010, 12:25 PM   #9
collrak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicat View Post
Great idea! When you do attempt to feed him if you do want to feed him in a separate enclosure, cover the feeding tub with a shirt or towel.. anything that will make the area dark. Or even put the feeding tub in a closet or dark space. If that doesn't work (which I really hope it does!), there are tons of great tips in Kathy Love and Don Soderberg's books. Even though this site is full of wonderful information, they are GREAT books to own.

Here are a few links to them, they can be ordered online, or even sometimes found at some Pet Stores (my local PetCo has a surprising amount of reptile literature in stock).

Kathy Love's Corn Snake bible:
(scroll down to the bottom of the page. Also, this link has Don's book as well as many other greats)
http://www.cornutopia.com/Corn%20Uto...cornsnakes.htm

If you want a signed copy of Don's Book:
http://www.cornsnake.net/cornsnakesincaptivity.php3
Thanks for the links. I'll try to feed him in his enclosure first and if that doesn't work out, then i'll try the separate enclosure method.

I just wanted to run another thing by you.... He's in a 15-qt tub right now with 2 hides and a paper towel roll, but he likes to stay underneath the paper towel substrate. Ambient temp is 75-80 and the uth side is 85. Humidity is 40-50. I know that corns are burrowing snakes, so is it normal for them to prefer being under the substrate instead of being inside a hide?

Old 10-14-2010, 08:58 PM   #10
sonofbry13
Thank you for all the great advice. I'll definitely get something to cover the top and sides of the enclosure. I only have two hides right now so I'll add in a few more. Small PVC or ABS would work as well as a paper roll wouldn't it? I'd sand the edges so they aren't sharp (and wash). I am going to attempt feeding again tonight. Its been four days since my last attempt. I have a towel I am going to cover the enclosure in after I put the washed pinkie in a small dish inside the cage.

Thanks again for all the advice. I was getting worried since I rarely see her out and generally go days with out even a head poking out. It great getting feedback and definitely helps me stress less. I think I stress more than the snake haha.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
baby corn not eating, shy