CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

hi!!
Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 12:46 PM   #31
Weebonilass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
attorneys? You make it sound like you'd sue him over a Forum where he used an image he found online.

its No Different than coke, disney, harley davidson...

its a Business logo, he didnt claim it as his own.

most forums about other things, like a rockband or whatever, have various people using the same avatars. if you read the name, not just see the image, you Know whos posting.

a simple "could you please change your avatar, its the logo of my business and i'd appreciate you not using it" could have taken care of this, but YOU were the one that blew this completely out of proportion. so for him to take a defensive stance after your ranting, is completely understandable in my opinion.

Someone LIKES your Company's design... its not a bad thing.
Forums of anything... snakes, dogs, horses... Go to the Lord of the Rings site and you'll see copyrighted material in the forums. The folks aren't trying to make a buck off of it... they saw a picture they liked and they wanted it to represent them, you're right Diva.... that's not a bad thing.

The kid I'm sure has learned a valuable lesson from this whole thing.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:03 PM   #32
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
attorneys? You make it sound like you'd sue him over a Forum where he used an image he found online.

its No Different than coke, disney, harley davidson...

its a Business logo, he didnt claim it as his own.

most forums about other things, like a rockband or whatever, have various people using the same avatars. if you read the name, not just see the image, you Know whos posting.

a simple "could you please change your avatar, its the logo of my business and i'd appreciate you not using it" could have taken care of this, but YOU were the one that blew this completely out of proportion. so for him to take a defensive stance after your ranting, is completely understandable in my opinion.

besides, you're no better than the kid. you're using a logo drawn FOR you. as in You didnt create it yourself? The Artist owns the image believe it or not, they Let you use it and copyright it. So i suggest Not acting like you're his age about it, and take a more adult approach in the future.

Because i bet its not just in my eyes, but after this, he seems the more mature person of the two, and hes only 16.

and for the record, i Design websites using flash, html, xhtml, and javascript. but you dont see me going "omg no dont use my web designs, i made it its mine." or freaking out over people using logos i design on forums for bands.

Someone LIKES your Company's design... its not a bad thing.
Really... he was being mature about it except for the post where he started the name calling ( that's real mature ).
I bet you have no problem with people stealing and using photos of other breeders animals to represent their own either.

And great ..I'm glad some one likes my logo ....tell me where it gives him or anyone else the right to use as they please????

For the record I dont really care if you allow people to steal/use your work to do with as they please....I do. My logo was not designed to use on forums ...as you put it , it was designed to represent my business, not for some 16 year old who has no respect for other peoples property.

I am no better than him?...I designed that logo and paid an artist to draw it for use in my business. Maybe you should know what it is you are talking about, I do own that image and have all the rights to it. So for him to take a defense stance regardless of how I reacted is wrong .....he did not have permission to my image.

I did send him an email asking him to remove and he did...but again, wasnt it him who came back after all was said and done to post again. So for him to take a defense stance regardless of how I reacted is wrong .....he did not have permission to my image.

Would a letter from an attorney be more of an adult approach ?
I think I went about it in a very civil manner, and honestly you people find it more important to fight for him then he does.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:07 PM   #33
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebonilass View Post
Forums of anything... snakes, dogs, horses... Go to the Lord of the Rings site and you'll see copyrighted material in the forums. The folks aren't trying to make a buck off of it... they saw a picture they liked and they wanted it to represent them, you're right Diva.... that's not a bad thing.

The kid I'm sure has learned a valuable lesson from this whole thing.
I am sure he has as well, it seems like a few others here have a problem with me wanting protect what belongs to me. If other people don't mind their images being used, so be it ...I am not one of them.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:05 PM   #34
durtis
i think im done with this i might go find somewhere else where people wont take offense a 16 year old kid finding an image he likes online and using it as a damn avatar on a forum

for the recored... i didnt get a please change your avatar its my company logo

i got

What i would like to know is why are you using my company logo as your avatar

thank you to everyone who is standing up for me

Old 07-03-2008, 03:11 PM   #35
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by durtis View Post
i think im done with this i might go find somewhere else where people wont take offense a 16 year old kid finding an image he likes online and using it as a damn avatar on a forum

for the recored... i didnt get a please change your avatar its my company logo

i got

What i would like to know is why are you using my company logo as your avatar

thank you to everyone who is standing up for me

I guess this was just not meant to have an ending.
For the record ..I didnt get any thing from you asking to use my property.
Why should I ask you "please ", or any one else for that matter ..when you are using something that belongs to someone else WITH OUT PERMISSION.

And really now ...... the way I asked .... how do you figure it was rude ?

I think no matter where you go ....stealing and/or using other peoples property w/o their consent ....is still wrong.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:21 PM   #36
diamondlil
As Durtis has apologised and changed the offending avatar, what more could he do?

Old 07-03-2008, 03:26 PM   #37
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlil View Post
As Durtis has apologised and changed the offending avatar, what more could he do?
Theres really nothing left for him to do, but drop it. But as long as he, or anyone else feels the need to accuse me of doing wrong by protecting whats mine, I will continue to answer these posts.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:28 PM   #38
snakewispera snr
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlil View Post
I think he should cut his left pinkie finger off at the first knuckle.....Wrap it in the Stars and Stripes and post it to the offended.......Nothing less will suffice....

Old 07-03-2008, 03:34 PM   #39
Maize411
alright I say both shoud parties should just let it go..durtis apologized and changed his avatar..so it should be settled..let's just try and move on and enjoy the rest of our time..and durtis I do hope you will stay..there are a lot of good people here who have a lot of things to teach about snakes..Just because you had a bad first encounter don't let that ruin your thoughts about this forum..It really is a nice place..and homegrownherps..please just let's not talk anymore about it..The subject is fixed now..as you said people will have their own opinions and that is just the way it should be left..We understand you didn't like the fact that he took the image..but it's fixed now..so let's just continue on with our lives..

Old 07-03-2008, 04:01 PM   #40
ciara
Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrownherps View Post
Theres really nothing left for him to do, but drop it. But as long as he, or anyone else feels the need to accuse me of doing wrong by protecting whats mine, I will continue to answer these posts.
It's not that you're in the wrong by protecting what's yours. It's just that your approach could use some work. Basically, what I'm (and I think others here) am saying is that you could have handled it in a more diplomatic manner. A simple 'could you please stop using my business logo as your avatar' in a PM would have sufficed, but instead you took an extremely aggressive and public approach, hunted down (from what I saw) every post he made and replied to it with said aggressive post, and then were surprised when he (eventually) got defensive.

Copyright infringement isn't ok. However, this is the internet. If he saw an image he liked, no one had claimed it was theirs/copyrighted/whatever, and he honestly didn't know who it belonged to, there was no notice not to use...how was he supposed to know? Just for the record theft isn't the same as copyright infringement.

Long story short, you can't blame him for how you handled the situation, and imo your approach largely contributed to the problem. You are in control of your actions and your approach to situations. He apologized and immediately changed his avatar. You continued your highly aggressive approach, and he (predictably) got defensive. That's human nature, especially at his age.

To be honest, this entire fiasco is somewhat appalling to me, as a new member of the forum. I really hope it isn't typical.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Closed Thread