CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

i must say this is terrible

Old 08-01-2008, 11:28 AM   #71
wade
I think the OP was Roy Munson trying to stimulate conversation on the forum.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:37 AM   #72
ghosthousecorns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
The procedure is the same as for a hatchling, you just need a larger meal and an extra pair of hands is a plus (although knees work well to keep the lower half of the snake controlled). I really love pinky rats for this process in adults. I personally like using a metal feeding tube (ball tip) to help work the meal in and then to push it gently as far down the throat as the tube will allow to help prevent the snake from bringing the meal back up again. I always use a whole meal (unless it's a very tiny hatchling that can only handle a pinky head) and work maneuver it like I see snakes normally swallow their prey (that side-to-side "creeping" up the meal thing), applying gentle pressure to keep the snake's mouth closed while I switch sides. Once the meal in entirely inside the mouth, I gently push it down (having a wet meal helps to slide it down), pull the tube out and place the snake in it's viv where it 95% of the time swallows it the rest of the way. If I get lucky, an adult will not make me use the entire technique and will swallow the meal on it's own after I just start it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Jen, My adult Lila was refusing for MONTHS for no apparent reason. Finally, a few weeks ago, she took a FT rat pup. Good, I thought. I tried her with a fuzzy the next time and no way. So a couple days ago I was feeding the babies, and had some pinks and fuzzies thawed out. Lila was poking her head out, watching me, so I offered her a FT day old pink off the forceps (didn't want to get bit if she actually took it!) and she took that pink like she'd been starved since February! (Which she had!) So then I offered her one of the fuzzies, and she took that, and then another, and another. Maybe _now_ her strike is broken.

I could probably make a video of assist-feeding Addy, and link you to it. PM me if you would like that.
Thanks Susan and Nanci... I tried force feeding an adult only once and got nowhere, the adult corn was far squirmier than a youngun and they have sharper teeth! I think a rat pup would be easier than the mouse fuzzy I was trying to use, and an extra set of hands would of helped.
Well hopefully I can get her to eat without resorting to this and all will be fine but thanks for the help!
And yes I know I am off topic but I think at this point in this thread it doesn't matter

Old 08-01-2008, 11:40 AM   #73
kathylove
An added note about force feeding...

When I have used a whole food item, I found it helpful to coat the nose area with butter, or some kind of oil. It goes down much easier that way, and the added calories can't hurt a starving snake.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:47 AM   #74
snakewispera snr
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic View Post
You were the one recommending to a newbie to force feed hatchlings only a few weeks old.
There you go again totally wrong... Do you read all the words in a post or do you make some of them up....... I didn't suggest FORCE FEEDING.... I said ASSIST FEEDING..... But you still seem to have a problem differentiating between the two... As it is I have been pm'd for a video on how it's done...(we didn't send one though as the feed back from the post was slightly negative) And there has been posts since asking what to do with their non-feeding snakes.... I was going to post 'ask Triple Moon Exotic' but I thought that was a bit churlish.....

Old 08-01-2008, 12:01 PM   #75
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewispera snr View Post
There you go again totally wrong... Do you read all the words in a post or do you make some of them up....... I didn't suggest FORCE FEEDING.... I said ASSIST FEEDING..... But you still seem to have a problem differentiating between the two...
Again, restraining a snake and FORCING (keyword here) something into their mouths is still force feeding. "Assist Feeding" is just a nicer way to put it. If it makes you feel better to call it "Assist Feeding," knock yourself out. I am not the only one who agrees with this statement.

You should have never recommended to a newbie to force ANYTHING into hatchlings that are 2-4 weeks old. That is BAD ADVICE.

I would bet money on that being exactly what this girl/guy was complaining about to Rich....

Old 08-01-2008, 12:12 PM   #76
Rich Z
If you have an adult refusing food, try throwing in a hand full of pinky mice. I had a big Honduran female once that went through a spell of ONLY wanting to eat pinky mice. Like about 30 at a time. Glad she got over that eventually.....

Old 08-01-2008, 12:17 PM   #77
ghosthousecorns
Thanks Rich! I have one male that has to have pinky mice to go off his eating strike every year after breeding. I will try it with my girl too. I just hate it when my adults eat the food that is supposed to be for the hatchlings LOL

Old 08-01-2008, 12:43 PM   #78
snakewispera snr
We must have different terminology over this side of the pond... Force feeding is what Susan described.... Using something to push the food down into it's throat.... I would never recommend this to anyone in a post.... I probably wouldn't even show them......
Assist feeding is where you open its mouth with the nose of the pink (very easy to do) and place the first half of it's head in the mouth.... They will then usually take it down on their own at this point... Two very different approaches, I think you'll find.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:55 PM   #79
TripleMoonsExotic
I know their are several different approaches to force feeding. I've done both of what you described in the past (though I am now of the opinion if the snake won't eat, it wasn't meant to live). Terminology doesn't change the fact that you are forcing the snakes mouth open and something in their mouths...And that it should have never been recommended to a newbie for 2-4 week old hatchlings.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:07 PM   #80
jpccusa
Quote:
I am now of the opinion if the snake won't eat, it wasn't meant to live
I am sure there will be LOTS of repercussion about this sentence!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google