CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Do we all have addictive personalities?

Old 06-07-2010, 08:56 PM   #81
MysticExotics
I'd have to say I do...I have 8 ferrets, & went from 2 corns to 11...LOL

Old 06-08-2010, 12:27 AM   #82
azhketh
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_various View Post
eh, I've been around a few years. I used to be super obsessed with this form, but I don't post much anymore. I have 5 snakes (NOT getting anymore) and even went so far as to build my own stackable vivs - not an easy task for someone like me. But they turned out alright : )

Just try not to get in over your head, I've seen quite a few burn out's here too. I know I would have, if had gotten any more snakes than I currently own. Everyone is different, but 5 is more than enough for me most days despite the fact I would have had double that, if I could have, when I started here.
Heh, sometimes I wonder if I'm going in over my head, then I think nahhhhh. I had Spyro two and a half years before finally getting another reptile..and then when I did, ended up getting three in the space of five months. Now I'm converting a cabinet into two gecko cages (to get either another garg or crestie, and to get a chewie), plus I've been thinking of getting a leopard gecko. Plus I've been looking at plans on how to build a snake rack. Still trying to decide if I want to keep snakes in racks; 20gal longs look nicer, but the snake doesn't care and they take up so much room (plus $$$).

Can't imagine ever breeding corns, too many colors and babies, and possibilities! Gargs, on the other hand...I so wanna get Sheppard a mail order bride...

Old 06-08-2010, 11:20 AM   #83
RosieReal
I'm not addicted...I just have upwards of 10 empty aquaria of differing sizes (left over from when I kept fish, which i wasn't addicted to either), more things in my freezer for the pets than me, 1/3 of my bedroom dedicated to pets, and spend more time at work on this site than working.
(I've heard the first step to getting help is admitting the problem, and the only help I want is with cleaning poo. so for now...I ADMIT NOTHING!!!)

Old 06-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #84
Irish Eyes (Mrs.Z)
No addictive personality here. Nope. Not at all. Don't read my siggy line, though, ok? :-)

Old 06-08-2010, 12:09 PM   #85
kadaysa
I think this an excellent thread. I would have to say I have both a very passionate personality as well as an addictive one because I totally see them different as they apply to me. I do feel though I can keep the addictive part under control. I may take it right to the level of that's enough but I don't tend to go past that due to the pinch of responsibilty. This is kinda in reference to online gaming, purchases, gambling, drinking. Now for my snake collection. I have thought about this mostly because those I have around me think I am nuts with the snakes and that I have an unreasonable amount (well they thought that about 30 snakes ago LOL). They don't understand why I have so many especially since it is not a business for me, like the business part would justify it in their minds. Anyway, the thing to me is, I don't see what they see. I don't see the you have how many snakes *insert number* as some sort of negative thing like they do. I guess it's because I am the one in it, because I am the one in the trenches going through all of the work as well as all of the good with having my snakes and enjoying every minute of it. I have my own personal sanctuary in my home (an extra bedroom) where my computer and my snakes are. I love that room above all others. To be honest the collection started with getting other corn snake morphs, then to getting other kinds of snakes. Did I think every purchase through for days and days, nope I sure didn't. I totally impulsed on quite a few of them, but totally do not regret it nor care for any others less. I guess for me I have the means, and am making the time, to care for each and every snake I have, so it's all good in my book. But to go back to the initial question of addictive personality I will say I have a very very hard time leaving a reptile show without a new snake, (last time though I was very good and just came back with a new RETF, so that doesn't count LOL)

Old 06-08-2010, 12:18 PM   #86
4riscorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadaysa View Post
I think this an excellent thread. I would have to say I have both a very passionate personality as well as an addictive one because I totally see them different as they apply to me. I do feel though I can keep the addictive part under control. I may take it right to the level of that's enough but I don't tend to go past that due to the pinch of responsibilty. This is kinda in reference to online gaming, purchases, gambling, drinking. Now for my snake collection. I have thought about this mostly because those I have around me think I am nuts with the snakes and that I have an unreasonable amount (well they thought that about 30 snakes ago LOL). They don't understand why I have so many especially since it is not a business for me, like the business part would justify it in their minds. Anyway, the thing to me is, I don't see what they see. I don't see the you have how many snakes *insert number* as some sort of negative thing like they do. I guess it's because I am the one in it, because I am the one in the trenches going through all of the work as well as all of the good with having my snakes and enjoying every minute of it. I have my own personal sanctuary in my home (an extra bedroom) where my computer and my snakes are. I love that room above all others. To be honest the collection started with getting other corn snake morphs, then to getting other kinds of snakes. Did I think every purchase through for days and days, nope I sure didn't. I totally impulsed on quite a few of them, but totally do not regret it nor care for any others less. I guess for me I have the means, and am making the time, to care for each and every snake I have, so it's all good in my book. But to go back to the initial question of addictive personality I will say I have a very very hard time leaving a reptile show without a new snake, (last time though I was very good and just came back with a new RETF, so that doesn't count LOL)

I am right there with you 100%. We keep hearing about all the snakes we have now too, but each one gets daily attention and are fully cared for, not just sitting there to say "I have this many". We love each one of our snakes and yes, it is now starting to become a business but it won't make me love each one even less. They are part of our family!

Old 06-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #87
CplBoone
I thought I was feeling something coming on, Now i know what it is !

Old 06-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #88
oneirogenesis
It's interesting the way people attribute so much to a number. Once you get past 2 or 3 snakes, it sounds like a lot of pets to non-reptile people.

There is no set number that quantifies as "too many". Every keeper has a limit somewhere, but that is set by the particular species they keep, their finances, space and time; it is not just the number of pets they have, or how often they obtain new ones. I have four right now, with one more snake on the way, and it has not even amounted to as much work as one dog took for me.

As long as I am reasonable about what I can handle, snakes are a healthy addiction. I really wish I had been into snake keeping and field herping as a teenager. It would have kept me out of so much trouble!

Old 06-09-2010, 07:32 AM   #89
PrincessPurple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes (Mrs.Z) View Post
No addictive personality here. Nope. Not at all. Don't read my siggy line, though, ok? :-)
Wow! 7 border collies! My husband made me stop at 2 Chinese crested powder puffs, but indulges my snake habit! They take less time, space and they don't bark!

Old 06-09-2010, 09:38 AM   #90
zamora
I don't think I have an addictive pet personality....

I have always had at least one dog in my life....

I have had three cats in my life...

I have almost always had at least one fish tank...

I have almost always had at least one horse (last year I had 11!)...

I have 10 snakes and one on the way...

Total current count:
1 Husband
1 Fish tank
4 Dogs
4 Horses
10 Snakes

Addictive personality....NOPE!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google