CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Newbie-ess & problem

Old 03-16-2010, 12:19 PM   #31
Candachan
Snakes are not usually aggressive towards each other, because physically fighting wastes precious energy. This does not mean they are peacefully being friends. It is better for their survival to tolerate the presence of the other snake, but it is still very stressful for them! Baby snakes do not show the emotions and behaviors that people would expect from a stressed out dog, or an aggressive badger.

I have seen small YEARLING females become gravid and egg-bound. At 50cm (about 19-20 inches) your female could very well become pregnant, in the wild she would have the option of escaping a male, but she doesn't have that option with you. You are also very arrogant to assume that you would see every interaction between the two snakes, most people do not see their snakes drinking because they are most active during the hours that you are not sitting there staring at them. They are very solitary, secretive animals!

Saying you cannot afford another habitat is a very sad excuse, considering a lot of breeders keep their babies in plastic containers that can be had for cheap or even FREE. I guarantee you that they will be actively moving and rubbing the edges of their new home, as any snake would in any new environment, but they would be settled in within a day or two and definitely much less stressed than living with another snake.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #32
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by JemmaUK View Post
*sigh* I am making the point that while I wouldnt keep a rott or a pitbull anywhere near kids of any age some people do

In the same way that at the moment until I have another option I will chose to do things my way...

It probably could - but then so far in my life dogs, snakes and all others furry, scaled, winged, fanged or otherwise have caused me no harm at all...

I just wish fervently that I could say the same about the hairless ape...

so far its been

2nd degree burns - deliberate
assisted trans window experience - almost lost an eye and my jugular
1 rape
1 attempted rape
5 physical attacks, the worst of which had me in hospital with internal injuries - all because I said no to one of the local oiks.

thats just the highlights so you will forgive me if humans arent exactly my favourite animals...

Those who respect me earn my respect and friendship - those who dont, dont. And verily, those who treat me in like to an idiot - will be told to find a short pier and take a long perambulation....
I truly do not care about alllllll the ways you have been hurt.
You asked a question as to why your snake is not eating. I answered.
I truly believe that you are hurting your snakes by keeping them the way you do.
I truly believe that the reason you have a problem is because of what you are doing.
If you don't want to hear it, then you don't want to hear it. Fine.
You have such a natural affinity for animals, then you shouldn't have a problem now should you?

But if you can't afford another enclosure, how in the world will you be able to provide vet care if one gets sick?

You can't afford to properly care for 2 snakes, then you shouldn't have 2 snakes....

Old 03-16-2010, 12:28 PM   #33
Candachan
Not sure exactly how being raped has ANYTHING AT ALL to do with you co-habbing two snakes.

There are a lot of people here who are true experts on cornsnakes, and have been breeding and caring for them for DECADES. Lots of them have published books and pioneered a lot of breakthroughs in their breeding and husbandry in general. There are also a lot of people here who have very solid reasons why cohabbing is generally frowned upon, and have the dead snakes to prove it.

The fact that you are flat-out rejecting this advice simply because you don't like the way it was presented is foolish. You don't throw away a gift because you didn't like the box it came in.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:28 PM   #34
Dazzles
This is moderately off-topic, and I hope I don't get sanctioned for this, but:

I understand what you're going through. Except add needles, and rape over a period of 8 years.

You have a natural affinity toward animals, you relate to them better, and that is great.

Be a deer.

It is the best advice anyone has ever given me, it changed my life.

Be a deer.

You take a person into the woods and shoot them, they fall, they weep, they die. People are not survivors, not alone.

You shoot a deer in the woods and if it is able, it keeps on running, keeps on living. It isn't afraid the rest of its live. It doesn't use that pain the rest of its life as a crutch.

If you hate the "hairless ape" so much, stop exhibiting one of their worst qualities: self pity.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:30 PM   #35
kloe2008
Quote:
They are both young juveniles in the same viv (yes I know, dont start, they seem fine and happy with each other)
Do you speak snake too? Have they both told you theyre fine & happy together?
Quote:
the most intelligent of us
It isn't very intelligent to ignore good advice given by some of the most experienced snake owners in America - And without a doubt in the UK....
Sorry, I just feel you shouldn't be co-habbing knowing that it really isn't advised.
Besides that, welcome Essex girl... & remember to visit The UK forum....

Old 03-16-2010, 12:33 PM   #36
Candachan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzles View Post
This is moderately off-topic, and I hope I don't get sanctioned for this, but:

I understand what you're going through. Except add needles, and rape over a period of 8 years.

You have a natural affinity toward animals, you relate to them better, and that is great.

Be a deer.

It is the best advice anyone has ever given me, it changed my life.

Be a deer.

You take a person into the woods and shoot them, they fall, they weep, they die. People are not survivors, not alone.

You shoot a deer in the woods and if it is able, it keeps on running, keeps on living. It isn't afraid the rest of its live. It doesn't use that pain the rest of its life as a crutch.

If you hate the "hairless ape" so much, stop exhibiting one of their worst qualities: self pity.
I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough
without ever having felt sorry for itself.

- DH Lawrence

Old 03-16-2010, 12:35 PM   #37
JemmaUK
You suggested I dont deal very well with humans, so I told you why I dont. Some humans on here I have alot of time for an I am naturally a generous person - but once you put my back up; up it stays.

I will say it slowly for not least the 3rd time...

If Claudia does not eat the next time I attempt to feed her - then I will split them.

The two snakes are approximately 30-40 centimeters in length - much bigger and I will split them anyway.

If they are stressed (which is anthropomorphizing anyways, the very thing you are bitching at me about btw) then I see no reason to make it worse right now by yanking her out of the viv shes in without trying feeding her one more time after a period of isolation to see if the situation improves.

I have followed all the advice about co-habbing such as separate feeding and multiple hides and so forth. It is not an ideal situation in my personal opinion. But until I have given it a fair go I am not going to start chopping and changing for the sake of it.

I hope you got all that because I have no intention of explaining it again and have what I say ignored in a cloud of righteous indignation.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:40 PM   #38
kloe2008
Quote:
ignored in a cloud of righteous indignation.
Practically what you have done then...Why wait to split them up...Just to see if one is more cannibalistic than the other !!
Dont let the side down and make us Brits out to be as ignorant as everybody says we are.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:40 PM   #39
Candachan
Stress is a actual scientifically measurable thing, and not an emotion. Emotions can cause stress, but stress is NOT an emotion in itself and is not anthromorphizing. You are explaining that you don't think what you are doing is wrong, even though you have a snake displaying signs of stress (NOT EATING) and even when you have countless people telling you the opposite.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:41 PM   #40
Shiari
Quote:
Originally Posted by JemmaUK View Post
If they are stressed (which is anthropomorphizing anyways, the very thing you are bitching at me about btw)
Actually, that's not anthropomorphising. Stress is a reaction to non-ideal circumstances and stress has been proven via certain raised hormone levels that, over a prolonged period of time can lead all sorts of problem including eating problems, cancer, and death. Stress is easily seen in the "higher" animals such as elephants (swaying), large predators (pacing), parrots (feather plucking) and even mice (barbering/fights). Snakes are much harder to read with regards to body language when it comes to something with relatively subtle cues as stress.

Anthropomorphising would be saying that your snakes are friends and having a lovely time together.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google