CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Newbie-ess & problem

Old 03-20-2010, 10:04 AM   #81
snakewispera snr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
Do you actually think this person OWNS SNAKES?
No ... They all have an equal sense of being within a psychic commune.
Never looking at photographs, for fear of what torment they will reveal...

Old 03-20-2010, 12:13 PM   #82
Dazzles
Quote:
Do you actually think this person OWNS SNAKES?
I dunno. I'm not used to being a part of a forum community where you are allowed to speculate on the poster's honesty. I am a member of another board (for life and love issues) and doing something like that would get your post deleted.

It seems I have more freedom here, so, if I had to wager, I'd guess the person is either a very elaborate troll, or a very disturbed and delusional woman.

Regardless, they either don't have snakes, or lied about the issue being resolved.

It shouldn't take a snake whisperer to figure out that changing their feeding habits, when everything is working out perfectly, is a bad idea.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:48 PM   #83
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzles View Post
I dunno. I'm not used to being a part of a forum community where you are allowed to speculate on the poster's honesty. I am a member of another board (for life and love issues) and doing something like that would get your post deleted.

You bring a panoply of interesting issues with your post, thank you. I would think, in love and life, questioning honesty would be basic. I do not want to get into details about my exes but one was incredibly dishonest.

Deletions. That is a thorny issue. I recently visited a board where they lock threads, lock them and alow in only posts the moderator wants, and 'unapproves' (deletes) threads. The owner of this board, in contrast, does not delete lightly. I know this personally.

I think people should say what they think. But I've deleted a couple posts in my forum that I did not want, and I think that may be inconsistent. But it may be a matter of degree; some posts are extremely disruptive as opposed to being honest? I don't know.

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.

Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self-Reliance
US essayist & poet (1803 - 1882)

A genuinely important topic, thank you for bringing it here.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #84
vetusvates
Quote:
Hmmm....I speculate about a lot of things. Among the legion of things I speculate about are name, age, character, sex, and educational background of posters who seem to be to the left or to the right of the mean/median of the bell curve of sanity. Things hidden...to me...imply more things hidden.
My job IRL, is to speculate. I took courses on it. And engage in it. To do a better job.
I cannot wrap my mind around censured or censored speculation. Questionable behaviour precipitates speculation, and I think it has precipitated cats and dogs in this thread.
Quote:
You bring a panoply of interesting issues with your post, thank you.* I would think, in love and life, questioning honesty would be basic. I do not want to get into details about my exes but one was incredibly dishonest.

Deletions. That is a thorny issue. I recently visited a board where they lock threads, lock them and alow in only posts the moderator wants, and 'unapproves' (deletes) threads. The owner of this board, in contrast, does not delete lightly. I know this personally.

I think people should say what they think. But I've deleted a couple posts in my forum that I did not want, and I think that may be inconsistent. But it may be a matter of degree; some posts are extremely disruptive as opposed to being honest? I don't know.

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.

Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self-Reliance
US essayist & poet (1803 - 1882)

A genuinely important topic, thank you for bringing it here.
Lucille, I starred (*) and bolded your beautifully understated statement above. I second the sentiment.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:42 PM   #85
Dazzles
I hope no one thought I was faulting anyone on this board, or the board itself. It is nice and refreshing to see so many people speaking their minds.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:47 PM   #86
vetusvates
Quote:
I hope no one thought I was faulting anyone on this board, or the board itself. It is nice and refreshing to see so many people speaking their minds.
Nah, at least for myself I don't think that.
And you know, Dazzles, in all honesty...I have visited very little speculation, relatively, to this thread.
It has served to be overwhelmingly entertaining at simple face value.
My (among many) faults include being very much the spectator. LOL.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:02 PM   #87
snakewispera snr
Quote:
I dunno. I'm not used to being a part of a forum community where you are allowed to speculate on the poster's honesty.
I probably wouldn't speculate about a posters honesty...... Normally...
Just this thread did get better and better as it got more and more dubious.... And the claims got more and more dubious as it got better and better...
I blame the OP for leading me on...

Old 03-20-2010, 05:30 PM   #88
Jadie.Glitch
No no, don't stop, go on! *munches on a tub of popcorn*

This is incredibly interesting. When is OP going to come back? Those are the juicy parts

Old 03-20-2010, 07:51 PM   #89
LBoz
Quote:
some posts are extremely disruptive as opposed to being honest? I don't know.
I agree with this statement. Many of the posts have been disruptive as well as plain mean spirited....my own included.

Do I agree with the OP's husbandry? Absolutely not. But she's also included a lot of personal information about herself that has become fodder for attack. Personally, I took the bait and resonded unkindly. I've said many times and I'll repeat...I'm not religious by any means, but I consider myself highly spiritual....I've seen and done a lot of things in my lifetime that many would not believe or understand. I'm guilty of dismissing things that I've NOT seen or understand. Does my lack of exposure make them untrue?

Old 03-20-2010, 08:38 PM   #90
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBoz View Post
. I'm guilty of dismissing things that I've NOT seen or understand. Does my lack of exposure make them untrue?
You've crystallized the problem here. Most of us see the world through our own eyes, and own experience. It's hard to step outside of ourselves but you are right, we can't dismiss something just because it is foreign to us.

But there is a secondary problem, and that is that completely apart from the way we perceive things, not everything we read is in fact true. These untrue things ought to be dismissed, and not taken at face value if they are not given at face value.

Sometimes, it's difficult to see the world the right way.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google