CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Adopting a snake that has not been fedb / taken care of properly?

Old 06-14-2017, 08:10 PM   #1
LadyJemima
Adopting a snake that has not been fedb / taken care of properly?

I am adopting a "rescue" snake this weekend. I do not believe the current owners have been "bad" owners or mistreated the snake in any way, but I also do not think the snake has been afforded the best care possible. (IMO, from volunteering in the animal rescue field for many years, there are many "levels" of pet owners. E.g., my pets are my children and are treated as such!)

So...this corn is 3 years old and probably (rough estimate) about 3 feet. I don't know what kind of tank she has lived in (other than it's a 20 gallon) but I'm guessing probably a pretty basic tank, bedding, water bowl and heat lamp. (Her new viv is going to seem like a palace!) I know she has been handled often by many people, which is important to me because I will be using her as an educational animal (this was my biggest criteria -- does well with handling).

But, the owners said they feed her 5 fuzzies every week. Obviously she should be fed something WAY larger. Should I have any concerns about the effect this will have had on her health over the past three years? What should I look for upon adoption that could indicate any possible health problems? In a recent cell phone photo, I almost thought I saw some scales peeling up, but could be totally wrong about this.

I'm just getting nervous about adopting an unhealthy snake, although of course I am anxious to put her into a spacious, healthy environment with me.

Thank you!

Old 06-14-2017, 08:24 PM   #2
DollysMom
Out of my three snakes, the only one that has needed treatment for parasites is my rescue. What I have learned is that they don't always show up. So these showed up on her second fecal test during her second annual physical. I would now get not only an exam from a qualified reptile vet but get at least one follow up fecal.

Also if your snake loses weight for no discernible reason, or has loose or extra smelly feces it could be parasites. I had none of these clues. Also look for general health, activity changes, bad sheds. But I highly recommend a vet check.

At least around here a physical and fecal is about $100 more or less and to me is money very well spent. Also many vets are more available for emergencies once you have established yourself as a patient. To me regular vet care is money very well spent if you have a qualified vet in your area. Look on the ARAV web site to find one.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:28 PM   #3
LadyJemima
We have a vet here whose practice is about 50% exotics. Small area with lots of vets, but she's the only one who treats reptiles and birds. But she has a good reputation, from what I've heard.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:32 PM   #4
DollysMom
P.S. On to the positive. Adopting my rescue and knowing that she has the best of everything and is totally adored is one of the best and happiest things in my entire life. I swear I feel an oxytocin rush everytime I hold her. She is treated like the princess she deserves to be.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:33 PM   #5
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJemima View Post
We have a vet here whose practice is about 50% exotics. Small area with lots of vets, but she's the only one who treats reptiles and birds. But she has a good reputation, from what I've heard.
Sounds good!

Old 06-15-2017, 05:27 AM   #6
Karl_Mcknight
5 fuzzies a week would be about 20 to 30 grams weight. That may be about right as far as feed weight. It depends on the weight of the snake. When Rufus was 3 feet long he was eating 20 to 25 gram mice. He weighed about 250 grams himself. It's important to weigh the snake frequently so you can tell if the snake is gaining weight or losing. You also base its food amount on its weight.

I'm enclosing a picture that demonstrates what a healthy, overweight, or malnourished snake would look like.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:49 PM   #7
DollysMom
Karl's diagram is spot on. I'm so glad he posted it.

I want to add a few more thoughts about adopting a possibly unhealthy snake.

Anytime we get a snake we take the chance it may have a health problem. Mine was a formal adoption from a reptile rescue who had a vet check on intake and then was in foster for nearly two years. When I got her, I quickly realized that she had cataracts (which don't slow her down a bit) and she had stuck shed on her tail which is not good husbandry by any measure. All I knew is that she was at least 12 years old and had laid eggs shortly after arriving at the rescue, presumably with her cohabited mate. I had no idea of any heath problems including the parasites that have turned up.

Just like there are no guarantees in anything else in life there are no guarantees in adopting. I hope that this information allows you to relax a bit and to roll with whatever comes. When we love, we risk. I know that in adopting a snake that has more days behind her than ahead of her I risk the heartbreak of not having her as long as I might have a younger snake. To love deeply is to accept the joys and the heartaches that come with that love.

I'm not just talking to you personally, but to anyone getting a pet snake. I'm also just reflecting for myself on the nature of love and what adopting this girl, who has some needs, but who is also full of personality and life means to me. She is beyond special and she is a blessing beyond measure.

And now to you personally, LadyJemina -- kudos for all the hard work and education you are putting into this. Few here have been more prepared to welcome a snake home than you. I know I wasn't as ready as you for my first snake even though I had read Don Soderberg's book and planned for a year. I have no doubt that you can handle whatever may come. I wish you the healthiest of snakes and the happiest of relationships with it! If there are some bumps along the way there is a great community here ready to support you.

My rescue girl <3<3<3<3<3 , Mandy. Her honorary (we don't really know) 14th "birthday" was yesterday:

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google