• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Paradox, is it always genetic?

It's more typically congenital issues; a particular line of cells that had a copying error that 'broke' a mutation explain red spots on aneries and snows very easily. How early in the development of the embryo/fetus would determine how large a patch. And chimeras definitely can and do happen, maybe more often that we think because if you have a clutch of all amels, how would you ever tell that one was a chimera?

Not a corn but I figured my question was generic enough to ask in this section. Just hatched a malformed albino House snake, that has a spray of black over about 40% of it's body. Based on the other issues it has, I know that there were issues with it during incubation. So was just wondering if the incubation was to blame for that as well.

Or can environmental factors during incubation cause the effect as well?

I once had a snow female that had a red spot and she got a snow son with a red spot to, but all he other snow siblings did not get any red spots.

It is likely that there is some kind of genetic factor involved that increase the likelihood of getting red spots/patches but it is not a predicable with simple recessive or dominant inheritance.

In humans there are families with increased likelihood of getting twins, but there are no simple genes that can explain the trait.

Environmental factors do probably have some influence to.

Not a corn but I figured my question was generic enough to ask in this section. Just hatched a malformed albino House snake, that has a spray of black over about 40% of it's body. Based on the other issues it has, I know that there were issues with it during incubation. So was just wondering if the incubation was to blame for that as well.

I don't think incubation errors can actually cause a gene to switch off? :shrugs:

My question would be, is it ever genetic? Many have bought paradox snakes and attempted to reproduce them, but not successfully.

I know almost nothing about the nuts and bolts of how Paradox works. But in Sand Boas there is apparently a recessive gene for Paradox and it is predictably reproduced but that's the only species I've ever heard of where it is not random.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking of that, but really, isn't it just a gene for black speckles? Once there's a predictability to it, then it's no longer a paradox!! That was an unfortunate gene name.

I didn't edit your post, sometimes it does that when I go to reply, sorry...

I do that all the time down in my own forum, go to hit quote and end up editing that post instead, LOL!

So, what is the technical difference between a paradox and a Chimera and how does one tell which is which?

I can answer the chimera question. A chimera occurs when two or more zygotes fuse to form one individual. They actualy have sections with different DNA.

Edited to add: I just looked up the meaning of paradox in reptiles and it is a spot of pigment that would not normally be present. It is not supposed to be able to be passed on.

So from the looks of it, your little one may actually be a chimera considering the size of the coloration. That's very typical of what I know of chimeras.

Personally I think what happened there was all genetic, even the eye.

My question would be, is it ever genetic? Many have bought paradox snakes and attempted to reproduce them, but not successfully.
Am I the only one that have got a red spot paradox snow from a red spot paradox snow mother?

Low probability do not prove that it is no genetic factor involved. Low probability of getting the paradox offspring just say that it is not a breedable trait, just as twins is not a breedable trait.

Who care to breed two paradox snakes if the chance is 1/100 to get an paradox offspring from paradox parents, when the chance to get a paradox just by chance with any parents might be less than 1/1000? The odds to get the wanted trait in the offspring is still to little.

Low probability do not prove that it is no genetic factor involved. Low probability of getting the paradox offspring just say that it is not a breedable trait, just as twins is not a breedable trait.

It's not perfectly reproducible like a recessive gene, but twinning has shown to be affected by genetics in some way, as many twin hatchlings are prone to producing more twins. This occurs in human families as well. I imagine paradoxing is similar. Several people have had a single snake or pair produce 2 or 3 paradoxes in their lifetimes.

Toffee belly in hognose is also a genetic paradox like in snow sand boas. It's highly unlikely it's an additional mutation.

I wish there were more paradox in corn snakes. I have an opal that has a bright orange scale. I'm hoping her offspring have it too. I also have a ghost pied female that has occasional orange spots on her. I haven't checked her offspring for any though. Hmm...

Tom Thompson has a sick paradox peppermint. I don't think that once proved out genetic did it?

Back