CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Transitioning food sizes

Old 03-20-2017, 09:16 PM   #1
VanguardFed
Transitioning food sizes

My little corn snake measured at 15g today, which according to the highly regarded Munson plan means he is ready for two pinkies per feeding. Since this is a doubling of his meal size, how should I go about transitioning as well as feeding him two? Do I just put the second one in his tank next to the first one? should I cut one of the pinkies in half first? Should I bump up the length of time between feedings?

Old 03-20-2017, 09:49 PM   #2
DollysMom
You can go to two, but you don't have to. For me it always depends on the mouse sizes I have. What I would do is go from one 2 gram pink to a 3 gram pink and then to two 2 gram pinks or a 4 gram pink depending on what's in the old bag of pinkies. Also, you can go back up and down in size by a gram or so at a time depending on what you have. Just don't size up too far too fast. And of course if you have to adjust the feeding schedule upwards or downwards to fit your schedule or your snake's schedule, that's okay too. There is more flexibility than there might appear to be in the Munson plan.

I've always held the mice in the tongs in front of the snake and jiggled them if needed. So yes, just offer the second after the first is down and the snake starts moving around and flicking.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:57 PM   #3
VanguardFed
I only got two 3 gram pinkies with my last dozen, and that is what he was fed the last two feedings, so I think that I will just put in two 2g pinkies next then. I think I will go and measure out which two are the smallest to give him, and will just put the two pinkies in together come feeding time. I am wanting him to grow fairly fast, so I think I will stick to every 6 days as his feeding schedule.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:59 PM   #4
DollysMom
Be patient. You will have a healthier, longer lived snake if you don't try to grow them too fast. Munson is very aggressive.

Best wishes.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:02 PM   #5
VanguardFed
What would your recommendation be? Should I space it out further? Or does my current plan look fine, but I shouldn't go any farther? The health of my snake is a much higher priority than my wants.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:44 PM   #6
Dragonling
Seems like it takes forever to get them off pinkies, doesn't it? Lol. I'd wait a few more feedings, maybe get closer to 20g before doubling day-olds. I've got one at 18 I'm dying to get up to size as fast as possible, but he still only got one ~2.5g pink today. I'm saving my tiny ones just for those doubles though! Won't be long.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:48 PM   #7
DollysMom
Many of us use a day or so longer than the suggested interval and a mouse size smaller. I definitely stetched it out before moving to hoppers for example. My snake is 20 months old, 213 grams and getting a 10 to 12 gram mouse every 2 weeks. This is just an example. They are all so individual. I look for a steady gain and a good body condition and adjust accordingly.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google