CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

finding it very difficult to find information on weights

Old 06-26-2017, 09:42 AM   #1
beyourownspotlight
finding it very difficult to find information on weights

Hey!

So I did google, and try to search for information on weights, or a healthy weight range for a corn around 9 years old. Alfie isn't very long for a corn I don't think. I do struggle to measure him, but he's under 4 ft. Around 3ft6/7? I did manage to weigh him, 438g. He's rather slender, and I don't feel he's underweight but I don't have alot of experience with snakes, and I don't want to do wrong by him so I thought I would ask for other peoples opinions. He doesn't have any loose skin, it moves a tiny bit if you try, but it's not wrinkled or anything. We've had him a week and 3 days. We were told to offer him food he day after we got him, but pretty much to expect him to refuse, and he did refuse. So we tried again on the weekend just past and he refused again. I have his feeding records for the couple of months the pet shop had him. Other than the first couple of weeks he ate every week. I think he will just take time to warm up to the idea of eating, but since it's been 2 weeks now since he's eaten I will weigh him weekly to make sure he's not losing too much weight.

you can see the tip of his tail in those pictures, when he was younger he had a bad shed/his human didn't intervene and he lost the tip of his tail. He doesn't seem bothered by it.

Does he look an alright build for that sort of weight, and length?

Old 06-26-2017, 10:08 AM   #2
albertagirl
He looks great, weight-wise. I'm not expert at telling from a picture, but if I had to guess I'd say he's looking almost a little round. There isn't really a "correct" weight for a cornsnake, only a correct body-shape. Think of it as a loaf of bread. If he's flat on the bottom and sides, and nicely rounded on top, he's doing great. If he's round all over, or has bulging "hips" right before his tail, he's overweight. If he's kind of triangular and his spine sticks out the top, he's underweight.
An adult corn only needs to eat every couple of weeks or so, and it won't hurt him to miss a meal or two. I'd say to give him at least another week before trying to feed him again. Let him settle in with low stress. Keep handling to a minimum until he's eating well again. But my guess is that if he's been eating well for 9 years... well, he's probably going to keep that up! Just make sure his temperatures are good, and give him a little time to get used to his new home.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:52 AM   #3
Nanci
He is quite definitely not underweight!! If you can't resist feeding him every two weeks, consider feeding him something smaller. Maybe weanling size. A way to gauge his body condition it hold him near the vent dangling straight down, and see if he can lift his whole body back up to your hand. If he's in good shape he should be able to do that.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:30 AM   #4
beyourownspotlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
He is quite definitely not underweight!! If you can't resist feeding him every two weeks, consider feeding him something smaller. Maybe weanling size. A way to gauge his body condition it hold him near the vent dangling straight down, and see if he can lift his whole body back up to your hand. If he's in good shape he should be able to do that.

Hes super strong tbh, he can lift himself up no problem, likes to sort of lift himself up to see what's going on whenever he gets the chance. Even when hes wrapping around our arms/hands we can feel how strong he is. Took me by surprise the first time he did it.

Everything i'm reading online from other sources is so conflicting. So i thought i would check.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google