CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Breeding success! - Finally

Old 08-25-2020, 11:26 PM   #1
GitaBooks
Breeding success! - Finally

It all started when we got a pet corn snake, Jack, about 13 years ago. He is so friendly (never tried to bite, even as a baby), a great eater, and very healthy. When he started going off food every breeding season and trying to escape, we decided it would be fun if we got a female and bred them. We found an adult female at an expo (we named her Jill) and the next year we tried to breed them. We weren't very good at it though, and year after year we either lost the eggs or none were produced. Last year we almost got a baby to hatching, but it passed away. At that point, we realized the two might not be genetically compatible and decided we would try one more year.

Well, this was that year. We paired them up and Jill laid 30 eggs! Only four were fertile though. We waited nervously until the hatch date. Two of the babies, unfortunately, died during development, but a week ago we finally got our babies! About 6 years of trying finally gave us two beautiful little baby snakes! Not only that, but with only two hatching, it means we have the room to keep them! We got what we wanted, a baby from Jack that will hopefully be as calm, friendly, and as great an eater (so far they are proving this to be true).
We are planning on retiring Jack and Jill. Through the years of trying we have learned so much about corn snakes, their care, their genetics, and breeding. It has been a fun adventure.

Meet Rak and Puzzle!

Old 08-25-2020, 11:29 PM   #2
GitaBooks
Here are photos of them after their first shed and a picture of Jack and Jill when they were together for breeding.

Old 08-25-2020, 11:42 PM   #3
hypnoctopus
Oh they are so cute! Are they fires? I'm glad you finally had some success - it must feel great!

Old 08-26-2020, 12:18 AM   #4
GitaBooks
Thank you! It really is excited to finally have babies!

I'm not sure of their exact morph. Their mother is a Diffused x Masque x het Amel but I'm not sure if she is hypo or not (half the people I asked said yet, the other half no). Their father is just plain Amel but could have unknown hets.
I'm thinking they are Amel x Masque and possibly Hypo? It would be cool if they had Diffused though (I need to look closer at their pattern the next time I handle them).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google