• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How long to air PAM treated aspen?

KellC

So we’ve cleaned the tank and are spraying the aspen with Prevent a mite as a precaution against anything that has come in with the bedding.

How long should it air out before it’s safe? I tried to spray as directed 12 inches above, 1 sec per sq ft. I’ve seen some directions of 15 mins some 45.

I think you are referring to Provent-A-Mite. I would wait at least an hour. However, unless you had a mite infestation and are being cautious, there is no need to treat aspen bedding. I have used it for over 30 years and never had any mites on my snakes. Mites typically need moisture, and aspen bedding is very dry. I have read of mites supposedly coming in on orchid bark but never on aspen. I did have tiny moths hatch out of an aspen bag once that I had in my garage with an open top. Apparently, moths in the garage needed a good place to lay eggs.

Yes, that is what I was referencing. I had read some use it as a preventative. I’m quite new to all this.

There's nothing wrong with wanting the best possible housing for your corn. Mites are certainly a menace that you don't want in your vivarium. But they aren't introduced by aspen bedding. New corns should be checked over carefully. I use a magnifying glass to check any new snakes I acquire.

Interesting thread. Haven't heard of P-A-M before. Glad I don't need it. I too use aspen for substrate, but do also use coconut sprinkled a bit on top for some forest looking covering.

Back