CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Temperature variation across the vivarium

Old 03-26-2019, 11:17 AM   #1
Kopper
Temperature variation across the vivarium

Totally new member with my first corn snake who is 3-4 years old. Purchased from a breeder this past weekend at a Repticon event.

I bought a large eco-terra vivarium (36X18X18). I have placed a 8X12 ZooMed UTH under the right side of the tank. Then I placed a hide over a portion of that mat (and it is 85 degrees under the hide). The vivarium is so big however that the other side on the vivarium is in the 60s which I understand is too cold.. So, I currently have placed a heading pad under the middle of the vivarium (plenty of air space between the heating pad and the vivarium and a grate underneath it). But, the heating pad thing seems a poor long term solution and I am still freaked out about how safe it is to leave it on 24/7. So my question is would it be best to buy another UTH controlled by a thermostat to keep the rest of the vivarium the proper temp? I happen to have an 8X18 UTH unused at the moment but am concerned that may be way too big. So, any and all help appreciated. Thank you!

Old 03-26-2019, 01:14 PM   #2
blacktip
I would set up a second heating pad on the cool side with its own thermostat set around 72-74 degrees. The 8 x 18 UTH would be okay for this.

Old 03-26-2019, 01:22 PM   #3
Kopper
Thank you. That is just what I will do!

Old 03-26-2019, 02:19 PM   #4
Twolunger
Thermostats are great for holding temperatures at a desired level. Unfortunately, most are now made in China. Quality control is often low or non-existent. For that reason I use thermometers with build in alarms to keep an eye on the heat. ThermoWorks makes a relatively inexpensive model, RT801, with high and low alarms. They may also be made in China, but odd readings can be investigated quickly.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:06 PM   #5
Kopper
Thanks!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google