CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Male on Hunger Strike!

Old 05-11-2014, 09:52 AM   #21
Nanci
He's certainly not thin! I'd try again in two or three weeks.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:40 AM   #22
smigon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
I've got males here that have been on hunger strike for a month or two, though- it's that time of the year. None of them did it last year, but this year they are crazy!
This is only my second spring having corn snakes, last year I only had one female (Scarlett) and she was just over a year old and did nothing out of the ordinary.

This spring I had a total of 6 in the house, 2 females and 4 males, all of them went on hunger strikes, odd behavior, and being a newbie I had no idea. The males have all chilled out, but both females laid eggs. I never expected that to happen, and unfortunately I figured it out too late with my older girl, by the time I made the lay box and put her in it, she was already almost emaciated. She laid 12 tiny eggs yesterday, crawled out of the box and died. The eggs were so tiny, I felt for them to see if she was gravid but they were too small for me to detect. The largest one was no more than the size of a marble.

So thank you, Nanci, I am glad it isn't just me, everyone is having odd behavior and it makes me feel better to know that someone with your experience is having the same reactions with their snakes, that it isn't something I did wrong.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:38 PM   #23
Rigby & Marcy
For what it's worth, Rigby still hasn't eaten for the third week straight.
He's lost 8.7% of his weight but luckily he was a little chubby so he doesn't look too bad. Still stressful for his worried owner!

Old 05-12-2014, 03:35 AM   #24
RedCloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by smigon View Post
This is only my second spring having corn snakes, last year I only had one female (Scarlett) and she was just over a year old and did nothing out of the ordinary.

This spring I had a total of 6 in the house, 2 females and 4 males, all of them went on hunger strikes, odd behavior, and being a newbie I had no idea. The males have all chilled out, but both females laid eggs. I never expected that to happen, and unfortunately I figured it out too late with my older girl, by the time I made the lay box and put her in it, she was already almost emaciated. She laid 12 tiny eggs yesterday, crawled out of the box and died. The eggs were so tiny, I felt for them to see if she was gravid but they were too small for me to detect. The largest one was no more than the size of a marble.

So thank you, Nanci, I am glad it isn't just me, everyone is having odd behavior and it makes me feel better to know that someone with your experience is having the same reactions with their snakes, that it isn't something I did wrong.

Ah jez sorry about your female from what I see on this forum, you take AMAZING care of your snakes, so I'm sure you did everything you could have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-12-2014, 03:39 AM   #25
RedCloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby & Marcy View Post
For what it's worth, Rigby still hasn't eaten for the third week straight.
He's lost 8.7% of his weight but luckily he was a little chubby so he doesn't look too bad. Still stressful for his worried owner!

Yea it's super stressful! I just sit there trying to mentally WILL him to eat the mouse but no go. I'm thinking of maybe temp. Clearing out the aspen, putting in some carpeting and leaving him overnight with the mouse. I'd say I'd try rat babies, but I don't want him perm refusing mice AND I have no idea where to get them not in bulk. GL with Rigby though, hope he eats!

Old 05-12-2014, 05:49 AM   #26
Nanci
I remember when my first snake did this. It was super-stressful. Do you feed him in his viv, or in a container? You can just leave him in a container for several hours, if you like. It helps to cover it up so he isn't pacing around. But really- I feed snakes his size every three weeks, and if they are blue, they don't get fed. Three weeks is nothing to worry about.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:03 AM   #27
RedCloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
I remember when my first snake did this. It was super-stressful. Do you feed him in his viv, or in a container? You can just leave him in a container for several hours, if you like. It helps to cover it up so he isn't pacing around. But really- I feed snakes his size every three weeks, and if they are blue, they don't get fed. Three weeks is nothing to worry about.

I feed him in a separate container, but it's not really secure that I'd trust him in it without supervision. I'm looking to get a separate feeding tank but not sure what size I should get? Would a 10gal be ok?
I'm not really worried that he's hasn't eaten, I'm more worried about when he will start eating lol I just keep thinking that maybe he's decided to never eat again xD Silly, I know, but I treat all my animal companions like this. It's a wonder they all put up with me haha

Old 05-12-2014, 10:47 AM   #28
Nanci
I use the medium Sterilite Showoffs for adults, and the small for yearlings.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:34 PM   #29
smigon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCloud View Post
Ah jez sorry about your female from what I see on this forum, you take AMAZING care of your snakes, so I'm sure you did everything you could have.

Thanks, RedCloud, I do try to take the best care of my snakes, this was a situation I had never thought could or would happen. I am trying not to beat myself up over this, but it is still a bummer.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:28 PM   #30
ashleynicole
We use old tidy cats litter containers or sterilite tubs

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
feeding problem, not eating, snake wont eat