CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Thermostat setup for corn snake

Old 07-06-2016, 11:09 PM   #11
sachen
I have read somewhere that this is not a good idea. Tape should not be directly on the probe itself. What brand t-stat are you using DollysMom?

Old 07-06-2016, 11:39 PM   #12
DollysMom
I have a Hydrofarm/Jumpstart thermostat. As long as the probe is outside the enclosure tape may safely be used. Never use tape in the enclosure. Suction cups can be used to hold probes in place inside the enclosure.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:58 AM   #13
smale492
So I thought the probes were suppose to be on the inside of the tank against the bottom of the glass where the uth is? If you tape it to the back side of the uth wont you not get an accurate reading of the inside of the tank?

Old 07-07-2016, 10:37 AM   #14
sachen
I guess you would have to increase the t-stat temperature to get the desired temperature inside the cage.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:06 AM   #15
Dragonling
That's what I do lately, especially using a rack now as well. It's just impossible to put the probe inside one of the tubs.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:23 AM   #16
DollysMom
You use a thermometer probe (mine have suction cups) on the inside. I set my thermostat to whatever it takes.

It may be different with a more sophisticated thermostat, a Herpstat or VE for example. For those follow the manufacturer's instructions for best results.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:38 AM   #17
DLena
Talking Step by Step heat mat set up

Step by Step Directions:
1. Attach mat to underside of glass tank.
2. Use aluminum tape to tape thermostat probe to the non-sticky side of the heat mat.
a. Put it in the center
b. Yes, it will be on the logo side...NO WORRIES, I promise
3. Attach your thermometer probe to the inside glass, right in the center of the heat mat.
a. Both my ZooMed and Nat'l Geo thermometers have a little suction cup on the probe wire. Use that to attach the probe.
b. You have a choice for thermometer screen placement: Inside or Outside of tank. If you opt for outside, the wires will fit through the Zilla top notches.(I have 40 gal Zilla Critter Keeper). You can put them where ever works for you.
c. I keep mine inside because it is easier for me. The ZooMed comes with a second suction cup and I attach that to the inside back wall. The Nat'l Geo is more cumbersome, so I push it up against the front glass and wedge it in place with the bedding and a decoration or the water bowl.
d. If you have the Nat'l Geo, make sure it is set to read OUT, because that is the PROBE.
4. Lightly cover your probe with bedding and the warm hide, the way it will be when your snake moves in.
5. Plug heat mat into thermostat and set thermostat for 89. YES, 89. Give your mat 30-60 minutes to settle into its heat level.
6. After the wait time, check the thermometer temp.
a. If the thermometer temp is under 84, turn up your thermostat 2-3 degrees and wait another 30 minutes.
b. If the thermometer temp is over 86, turn down your thermostat 2-3 degrees and wait another 30 minutes.
c. You will have to play around to get your warm hide temp to stay between 84-87. Remember the wait time each time you adjust the thermostat.
d. ONCE STABLE, make note of the SETTING TEMP for your thermostat. You will need that setting to get the desired temp in the tank's warm hide.

FOR EXAMPLE: I have a 40 gal Critter Keeper. I have a heat mat for 50-60 gal tanks on the warm side because I am in Buffalo, NY and in winter, my thermostat had to be set at 94 to keep my thermometer/warm hide at 85-86. I also used a mat on the cool side, set up the same, at 75 because my house gets cold, especially at night.
Now that summer has hit full force, My warm side thermostat is at 89 to maintain 84-86 and I don't need the second mat at all.

Whew. Hope this helps.

Old 07-07-2016, 12:09 PM   #18
DollysMom
To add to DLena's very good instructions, check your thermometer at least daily. Sometimes I do need to adjust the thermostat up or down a degree. That's no big deal. It can happen for any number of reasons. If you have a thermometer reading that makes no sense double check it with a second thermometer or temp gun before making huge adjustments. If the temp is truly way off (more than a couple of degrees), you may have a thermostat or heat pad failure. Unplug it. Then empty the viv and troubleshoot with your snake in a holding container.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:04 PM   #19
kdickens
My temp. probe is hot glued to the heat mat itself. No problems with it becoming 'unglued'. And ... at the risk of highjacking this thread ... I've read about wrapping the heat mat first with foil to take it off easier if needed. Since I'm going to be setting up a new home soon, how is this done? Is it close enough to the glass? How to attach it?

Old 07-07-2016, 06:22 PM   #20
DLena
Wrap your heat mat with tinfoil (not the heavy duty kind) by folding the foil over the mat in a single layer. Make sure the tin foil extends past the heat mat on all four sides. Crimp it over so the foil is firmly sealed. Use aluminum tape around the edges to tape it securely to the bottom of your tank. This is how I did it for my Neodesha vivs. It works very well.
--I don't have my probe glued to the mat, and I want my mat flush against the bottom of the viv, so I just position the probe on the back side of the mat and wrap it with the mat in the tinfoil. It stays securely in place that way.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google