CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Thermostat setup for corn snake

Old 07-19-2016, 08:36 PM   #31
kdickens
The only place I could find alum. tape (or high heat tape) was an auto supply store, Advanced Auto I believe. You would think a Home Depot or hardware store would have it. Oh well, at least I found it!

Old 07-19-2016, 08:36 PM   #32
DollysMom
It won't come off or sag. I actually use duct tape and have no trouble with it. Duct tape is what they used to recommend before aluminum tape. I'll probably try some the next time I install a UTH.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:38 PM   #33
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdickens View Post
The only place I could find alum. tape (or high heat tape) was an auto supply store, Advanced Auto I believe. You would think a Home Depot or hardware store would have it. Oh well, at least I found it!
Here's what a quick google found me.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nashua-Ta...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 07-19-2016, 08:40 PM   #34
smale492
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
It won't come off or sag. I actually use duct tape and have no trouble with it. Duct tape is what they used to recommend before aluminum tape. I'll probably try some the next time I install a UTH.
Interesting thanks

Old 09-27-2016, 09:54 PM   #35
sachen
Can I use electrical tape instead of aluminum tape?

Old 09-28-2016, 01:32 AM   #36
DollysMom
I haven't tried it, but I don't recommend it.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:07 PM   #37
sachen
what would be wrong with electrical tape

Old 09-28-2016, 09:09 PM   #38
sachen
what would be wrong with it?

Old 09-28-2016, 09:24 PM   #39
daddio207
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachen View Post
what would be wrong with it?
Electrical tape just doesn't hold once it gets warm. It works the best when stretched and wrapped around something.
Duct tape will hold for a year or two possibly longer but always fails due to the heat.
Metal tape will usually hold the longest.

That's my experience with all three.

Personally I just stick the UTH to the tank as intended. Better heat transfer. The times I've removed a UTH (do it while heated up) I would use aluminum tape to reattach if I didn't want any hassles with it coming loose. Duct tape eventually dries out and becomes brittle.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:25 PM   #40
sachen
No for thermostat, I read that that aluminum is a good conductor and the tape that is sticking the probe to uth will take the heat and heat won't transfer to the reptile

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google