CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Hello everybody.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:33 AM   #1
65BAJA
Hello everybody.

Hello all. Another new guy here. Just picked up my first danger noodle yesterday. A baby Okeetee. It is really cute. Pretty shy still of course. The shop says it takes about a week for them to get used to their new home. I have it in a medium-low enclosure. It is spending most of it's time in the hide which seems to be holding steady at 85/86 degrees with the heat pad.

Anyway I will try to post a pic a little later.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:46 AM   #2
Twolunger
Welcome to the forum. I always recommend that snake lovers purchase a "well started" corn when looking for a new one. It appears that your new one fits that description, and I hope you have years of enjoyment from him/her.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:29 PM   #3
MysticExotics
Welcome! Pretty little one you have there!
Do you have a thermostat set up on your heat source? If not, you should pick one up, to regulate the temperature.

Feel free to share photos as your baby grows! It's fun to watch their progression!

Old 10-04-2018, 02:21 PM   #4
65BAJA
No thermostat yet. I do have a thermometer inside the hide which is over the heat pad. Highest I've seen it is 87.3* Lowest I've seen it is 84.1*. I do kinda wish I would have picked up a bigger heat pad with a thermostat. And I might still. I'm in the foothills and use a wood stove for heat. So in the early morning or during the day while I'm not home, the house can get kinda cold. That heat pad that I have doesn't seem like it will come off easy though.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:14 PM   #5
MysticExotics
A thermostat is imperative to maintain a safe temperature.
You can add another heat pad, and if it is the same exact size and wattage, you can use one thermostat for both.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:40 PM   #6
65BAJA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
A thermostat is imperative to maintain a safe temperature.
You can add another heat pad, and if it is the same exact size and wattage, you can use one thermostat for both.
Good to know. Thank you. Any particular brands or models recommended? Any ones to stay away from?

Old 10-05-2018, 12:23 AM   #7
SnakeCreations
cute little face!

-Tonya

Old 10-05-2018, 10:43 AM   #8
FirstSnakeJourney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
Welcome to the forum. I always recommend that snake lovers purchase a "well started" corn when looking for a new one. It appears that your new one fits that description, and I hope you have years of enjoyment from him/her.
(apologies for kinda hijacking this thread - nice snake btw)

Could I ask what is classed as "well started"? Are we just talking about something that has eaten a few meals and shed a few times or something that's been held back even longer?

Old 10-05-2018, 12:05 PM   #9
65BAJA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeCreations View Post
cute little face!

-Tonya
It was hiding in the bedding all evening. I think it was sleeping because it wouldn't even move when I put my finger up to the window less than an inch away. This morning it was chilling up on the branch of wood. Then right before I left for work it went over to the plant. I think it is getting pretty comfortable with it's new home.

The shop said not to feed them for about a week which would be Tuesday next week but they get their shipment of F/T pinkies in on Fridays. Might have to go to a different pet store for a pinky if they are out early in the week.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:05 PM   #10
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstSnakeJourney View Post
(apologies for kinda hijacking this thread - nice snake btw)

Could I ask what is classed as "well started"? Are we just talking about something that has eaten a few meals and shed a few times or something that's been held back even longer?
By well started I mean at least 3 months old. By that time a corn should have eaten at least weekly, and shed a few times. It's harder to get feeding success or shedding information from the typical pet shop, but private breeders can usually provide that info. That's not to say you can't have success purchasing a hatchling, but the odds are better when the corn is well started, and growing well too.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google