• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Missing scale??

Saml8

My snow just shed and I noticed a spot on her. When I enlarge the picture it looks like a missing scale..?? Any ideas on how this can happen? Usually she sheds in one full piece, however this time it was in 2 pieces.

Attachments

• IMG_1026.JPG
    IMG_1026.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 17
Nobody will be able to definitively tell you how that happened. I can tell you that right after a shed the new skin layer is quite tender, and my snakes usually hide for a day or two, sometimes right in their water bowl. Hopefully this little ding was caused when she attempted to shed the old skin layer. I would put triple-antibiotic on the spot, just to make sure bacteria doesn't enter the skin. She will probably shed again later and be back to normal.

Thanks Twolunger! Maybe in an attempt to get the second half of her shed off the scale was damaged. I will put a antibiotic ointment on her.

Some of my corns shed so silently that you don't even notice it. They rub on the substrate, water bowl, or side of their container to get the shed started and slither out of the old skin layer. I have others that thrash around, piling up the substrate, including filling up their water bowls with it, and it appears that they are going bonkers. It's easy for the latter to damage a scale or two.

Back