CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Baby Corn Snake Owner to Be

Old 08-29-2002, 07:32 PM   #1
candiedbutter
Baby Corn Snake Owner to Be

Well, after debating awhile on whether or not to get a snake, I decided on the easy keepers so I can get to know snake care better. I'm going to get a baby corn snake from a Reptile Show in Red Deer, Alberta, Canada on the 31st. I'm very excited. I used to own an iguana but found I couldn't care for it. (My those lizards are a lot of work, also I was fairly young.) So I gave it to someone who could and ended up getting a puppy instead. Anyhow, I think I can easily care for a cornsnake or two after doing all the research.

However, I thought i'd ask around, see if I have all the right materials.

I will be getting

10 Gallon Tank/20 Gallon Tank Later
Lid
Hide Box
2 Logs
Climbing Branch
Heavy Water Bowl
Under Tank Heating Pad (ZooMed)
Aspen Bedding (Begin with Paper Towel)
Pinky Mice (Once or twice a Week, Bigger Mice as the Snake gets Bigger)
Two Thermometers (Day: 80 to 85, Night: 70 to 75)
Spray Bottle
Lid Clips

The Snake Manual by Bill and Kathy Love Corn

And I am researching baby snake behavior. I know not to handle them for about a week or two, letting them settle, and not to handle it for two days after it feeds. I plan on getting a snake that has already eaten so I know it will, and so I can let it relax for a few days before feeding. I know how and when to clean the cages, though i'd like to know how to properly disinfect the bowls, cages and other things.

I'm a bit worried about the heating pad. I don't want the bottom of the tank to heat up, or burn my snake, how can I manage this properly?

Am I missing anything?

Old 08-29-2002, 07:54 PM   #2
Neil
First of all, I would recommend that you start with a ten gallon tank for a hatchling as large spaces freak them out quite a bit. You can always sell it afterwards and that money can go towards the 20 gallon. If you absolutely MUST keep a hatchling in a large tank then be sure to provide loads of hides so the snake never feels exposed. It is also very important to have a hide on both sides of the tank so the animal doesn't have to choose between being warm or cool.

With a hide, two logs and a climbing branch in the tank, you may find that it gets a little too crowded for an adult corn. You might want to create a special climbing tank, filled with branches so your corn can get its exercise.

It's quite unlikely that your snake will be burnt by the heat mat as they don't get nearly as hot as bulbs. However, they can be controlled by a quality thermostat.

You've made a good choice by getting The Corn Snake Manual but you should probably buy and read it BEFORE actually getting the snake. The more research you do the better.

A humidity guage isn't necessary for corns as they don't have special requirements. As long as you keep the water bowl in the cool end it should keep the correct levels of humidity throughout the tank.

You can clean the furnishings with a weak bleach solution. Soak the stuff in it for as long as the instructions tell you to and then completely rinse them out, getting rid of any traces of bleach. I have found that the best way to clean glass tanks is in the same way, using the bleach but melamine vivs are better cleaned with a disinfectant spray.

Old 08-29-2002, 08:14 PM   #3
candiedbutter
Thanks!

Thanks very much, I plan to get the manual today before I go ahead and buy anything on Saturday. I'll be reading through and making sure I can take care of this Corn Snake.

I could start with a 10 Gallon tank, and I probably will for the first bit. Also, i'll keep in mind that it could get crowded and make sure I keep a special place for him/her to eat, and to climb.

Thanks again, i'll be sure to read the manual first and keep the suggestions in mind. Only the best for my snake.

Old 08-29-2002, 08:44 PM   #4
Iris
About heat pads..
If it gets too hot, it's a good idea to have a little space between it and the bottom of the tank. I used folded pieces of paper to prop up the tank a little bit so the heat pad isn't directly touching the glass bottom.

Old 08-29-2002, 09:27 PM   #5
statickaos
hmm.. getting a 20 gallon tank is kinda too big for such a young snake.. thick layer of aspen bedding an more than 2 hide places, some fake plants would make it suitable.. i would get a 10 gallon, later on once its bigger get tha 20 gallon an use the 10 gallon as a feeding tank.. The list you made of what your buying sounds juss about perfect.. 1 thing i would do to save yourself some money tho is if your gettin a 20 gallon, some of sliding lids that go into slots on the top of the cage..they are pretty much escape proof unless the snake can slide em, which would be VERY hard..they come with locks though just incase.. if you buy the setup im speaking of its about 50 bucks for a very nice cage, basking lamp, bulb, an lots of other goodies inside of it.. u can get it at petsmart, they have free shipping at their online site if u dont have 1 near you.. an a rhetostat or whatever.. isn't really neccesary to me.. if you have your guages, you will be able to monitor the temperature yourself, the rhetostat will end up costing you more money than its worth i believe.. i never had a temp problem, ever..so it may juss be me

Old 08-29-2002, 09:56 PM   #6
Simon
Great to have another Canadian to enter the corn snake hobby!!

Everything seems good to me. Looks like that you'll be a great corn snake keeper.

Reading the "Corn Snake Manuel" by Bill and Kathy Love is one of the best thing to do to learn more about corn snakes. Other than the book, I would suggest you to come to this site often to learn more about the snakes and what is going on around the corn snake's morphs.

If you can't find anything that attracts you in the Red Deer show, you can always come and ask me....I will have serveral snakes for sale.....just email me and I'll reply you...

Good Luck and Happy Herping!!!!
Remember if you have any other problems, be sure to come on this site to ask!

Old 08-30-2002, 06:56 AM   #7
Neil
It would be my advise not to use a heating lamp. I've said this a couple of times before but I just don't think bulbs are suitable for corns because the temperatures they require aren't very high and can easily be achieved with a heat mat. If properly used, a mat will last the entire life of the snake whereas bulbs will need to be regularly replaced. Bulbs also cost about three times the amount to run than a mat.

Old 08-30-2002, 09:46 AM   #8
statickaos
Neil are u serious? 3 times much as in my energy bill was 150 last month,lol.. do they really help that much? Ive got heating pads on my BP, corn, and Leopard Gecko cage with basking lights as well.. I use the lights on the snakes cage for about 4 hours a day so they can have a lil fake sun heat i guess...gecko's stays on 24/7 cause the heatin pad wont keep his high enough.

Old 08-30-2002, 11:43 AM   #9
Katie
Lights consume alot more enery than pads and they dry the air out in a snakes enclosure. Neil is right, alot of people choose not to use lamps for snakes, with good reason. Pads are alot safer and it's easier to control temps with them (and a rehostat).

Of course, statickos, you need lamps for your lizards because they need UV light (I assume geckos do, I don't know that much about them, if I'm wrong, someone correct me). Snakes do not benefit from UV light.

Also, welcome to the hobby candiedbutter! You'll love your new snake I'm sure.... but you'd better make room for about 10 more cause it's addictive

Old 08-30-2002, 11:47 AM   #10
Missymonkey
what I like about mats is that they only heat a specific part of the tank, whereas lights generaly heat the entire cage, so if the corn wants to be less hot he either has to burrow or sit in the shade, which may or may not be much cooler... that and I would feel bad if I had to leave the light on all night which is when our nocturnal friends want to come out and play...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google