CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

My Okeetee has MITES!

Old 01-13-2007, 04:54 PM   #1
AnnaJack29
Red face My Okeetee has MITES!

Hello all,
Just a few questions.I took my baby out this morning and saw little black bugs crawling around on her.She was fine yesterday but today she has those bug.I called the pet store where we got her(fish and reptiles only) and they told me it was mites.Now he said for me to get 7 dust and mix it in with the beddig.Is that safe for my snake?Also feeding.I feed her Tuesday and the bulge only lasted 1 day.Is that normal or should I feed her more than 1 pinkie?
Thanks for all the help so far.

Old 01-13-2007, 05:13 PM   #2
Lennycorn
I haven't had to deal with mites yet...thank you very much...but if you just scroll down this page you'll find a thread title Mites treatments, it should be helpful.

Good Luck

Old 01-13-2007, 05:21 PM   #3
Lennycorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaJack29
Also feeding.I feed her Tuesday and the bulge only lasted 1 day.Is that normal or should I feed her more than 1 pinkie?
Oops, missed this question. Thats hard to tell you because we don't know the size (can't see it) of the snake in question. But what's the generally size and age of the snake? Do you feed on Tuesdays only?. And how long have you been feeding it pinky's?

Basically if the pinky is 1 1/2 times of the snakes girth you are feed the right size. but you might want to move3 up to peach fuzzy or fuzzy.

Old 01-13-2007, 05:24 PM   #4
tbtusk
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaJack29
Hello all,
Just a few questions.I took my baby out this morning and saw little black bugs crawling around on her.She was fine yesterday but today she has those bug.I called the pet store where we got her(fish and reptiles only) and they told me it was mites.Now he said for me to get 7 dust and mix it in with the beddig.Is that safe for my snake?Also feeding.I feed her Tuesday and the bulge only lasted 1 day.Is that normal or should I feed her more than 1 pinkie?
About the mites, it's Sevin dust, not 7, and what Kathy Loves The Corn Snake Manual says to do is to literally dust your snake in a bag using the stuff. Also, make sure that before you place your snake back in his/her cage that you have removed all substrate and soak the cage and anything else in the cage in a 10% liquid chlorine and water solution to get rid of other mites and eggs hiding in the cage. Replace the bedding, and you should be fine.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:40 AM   #5
pcar
honestly, I wouldn't use sevin dust. I have heard of a few peopl ethat have had snakes end up with RI's after a treatment of that. I had to get rid of Wood mites not too long ago, and I am sure that what I used will work on any mites.

Take a 2 gallon bucket and fill it half full of luke warm water.
Add a type of oil (olive oil, vegitable oil, etc) to the water
then dunk the snake through the layer of oil into the water then pul out
make sure that the snake it completely covered in oil and place in a container with a paper towel.

Should get rid of them pretty quick. You will also want to empty out your enclosure, throw away all the bedding, and clean everything inside with bleach. Good luck.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:06 AM   #6
grdn1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcar
Take a 2 gallon bucket and fill it half full of luke warm water.
Add a type of oil (olive oil, vegitable oil, etc) to the water
then dunk the snake through the layer of oil into the water then pul out
make sure that the snake it completely covered in oil and place in a container with a paper towel.
how on earth did you discover this remedy?

Old 01-14-2007, 10:10 AM   #7
SaulsMom
It's an old flea remedy for puppies which are sensitive to chemicals.

SaulsMom

Old 01-14-2007, 10:21 AM   #8
Jack B
What is the procedure for dunking the snake? Do you just lower it in and let it swim or do you hold it completely underwater for a second?

Old 01-14-2007, 11:13 AM   #9
duttyscornsnake
de flea

personally get De Flea reptile relief kills mites and protects them. you even spray it on while your cleaning their cage and it makes a barrier from mites getting him. spray directly on the snake and it works great.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:19 AM   #10
Lennycorn
lLike I stated above I haven't had mitews yet but just wondering.... Is it better to take the cage outside when cleaning out for mites so that they don't spread in the house. I mean, you got them off the snake now how about the area around the cage??

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google