CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Insectoid Cryogenic Suspension

Old 03-21-2004, 02:16 AM   #1
Kat
Insectoid Cryogenic Suspension

I saw a weird thing yesterday...

I have a koi pond out front (though the fish are indoors for the winter), and the water had frozen solid in it back in the fall, trapping a ladybug on/in the ice. That same ladybug has been there for months and months, exposed to the elements and to the Colorado winter. The past couple of weeks have been unseasonably warm, and the solid ice in the pond finally melted. Guess what? The very same ladybug was moving around (actually, it was trying to climb out of the water). It was the weirdest thing. Needless to say, I rescued it from the water, but I don't know how long it'll live as it didn't look to be in very good shape (though it was crawling around), and also its food source isn't available yet. I just thought it was pretty neat and a testiment to the hardiness of life that such a small and fragile thing could survive the way it did.

-Kat

Old 03-21-2004, 05:20 AM   #2
Simon
Wow..
I would never even thought that a lady bug could do that..
I always thought that they lived for a short period of time....

I guess the will power to live on that little bug is pretty strong..
I mean even a human being would have died just being outside for most of the time...

Old 03-21-2004, 05:26 AM   #3
StubbyUK
Insects are pretty incredible things huh? I've heard of the 'Mountain Rock Weta' that let's itself freeze over Winter and then defrosts in the Spring - got to love Animal Planet documentaires, lol.

Here's a link if anyone is remotley interested in them <g>

http://www.doc.govt.nz/Conservation/...-Rock-Weta.asp

Stubby

Old 03-22-2004, 10:21 AM   #4
Darin Chappell
When I was the manager of a local fast food restaurant, we had our new store built in a previously undeveloped area, and there were LOTS of crickets around the store for the first few months. Since I got tired of just killing them outright, and I had heard that insects were amazing creatures, when exposed to low temps, I got to freezing them in the walkin-freezer. I would let them get completely frozen (I mean HARD frozen!), then allow them to thaw out slowly. Inevitably, they would alway scome back to life, even if they had been frozen for an extended period of time. They could even suffer the process multiple times and be just fine!

Cool...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google