CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

need advice first time snake owner

Old 06-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
mr.allen
need advice first time snake owner

So I got a corn snake he is between 3-5 feet in length I just got him from a neighbor that was moving they told me to feed him medium size rats and to feed him in his tank but iv also heard to feed him dead mice and in a different tank to but he hasn't eat since I got him not sure if he's not hungry or what but iv tried to feed him the past three days and seems interested but let's the rat run over him and curlys up in his hiding spot or sore in his tank. And just some general advice would also be helpful to thank u

Old 06-17-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
fyrefocks
Step 1: Remove the rat from the snake enclosure.
Step 2: Never do that again, please.
Step 3: Purchase Kathy Love's book here.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
RobbiesCornField
Okay. First and foremost, welcome to the forum!
Second, between 3-5 feet is rather vague. Medium rats are probably a bit too big for your corn. Also, if you're feeding rats (and even mice), you shouldn't be feeding live, but pre-killed or frozen/thawed. Can you please post a picture so we can help you with the proper sized prey?
Third, punctuation is your friend. It will go a long way in helping people to take you seriously. I'm not picking on you, just trying to help out.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
mr.allen
Not sure how to upload pictures to the site or I would have put one up

Old 06-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
RobbiesCornField
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.allen View Post
Not sure how to upload pictures to the site or I would have put one up
Photobucket, Facebook, MySpace, we can talk you through posting pictures from pretty much any platform, even iPhone/iPads.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
hypnoctopus
You can also upload photos through picturepush.com, without signing up for an account.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
MysticExotics
Welcome to the forum & to owning snakes!

A lot of people here will tell you not to feed live. The reason(s) for that, is it can be very dangerous for the snake.
Yes, in the wild, snakes will kill & eat live prey, but our animals are not in the wild, they are confined.
Putting a live rodent in with the snake, can quickly result in injury (& sometimes death) to the snake, if/when the rodent fights back.
F/T (frozen thawed) or F/K (fresh killed-meaning you kill it before giving it to the snake) is much safer for the snake.
Plus, while snakes are generally efficient at killing their prey, it's not an instant death for the rodent, nor is it painless.
It's much more humane for both animals to feed F/T or F/K.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #8
mr.allen
http://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/photo....00002124074578. Probably not the best pic but its what I got for now

Old 06-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #10
RobbiesCornField
Hmmm... I can't seem to view the photo, whether I click the link, or try to use image tags. You could e-mail me a photo, and I'd be more than happy to post it for you!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google