CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

How often do baby corns shed?

Old 06-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
msconana
How often do baby corns shed?

I bought my baby anery male in mid April and he was 2 months old. He shed May 1st. He was having regurg problems at the time, stressed, my tank knowledge wasn't all that great etc and his shed was about 80% one piece. We found other pieces around. Nothing seemed to be stuck on him and his eyes are clear. He's been eating well and normal amounts since May 7. My question is how often should he be shedding?
Shed at 2.5 months and he's 4.5 months now--is that normal?

Old 06-27-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
ZiggysMom
They shed as they grow. It sounds like he is growing a little slow. The time of stress and regurg could be the reason. As long as he is eating appropriate size size meals regularly I am sure he will be shedding soon.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
msconana
Ok, thanks! I'm thinking of upping his meals to a pinkie and a half to see how he does. In the beginning a pinkie bulge would last 2 full days. Now it's 24 hours and it's gone. I think he's fully past the danger zone now--thank God!

Old 06-27-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
Pugsley
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconana View Post
Ok, thanks! I'm thinking of upping his meals to a pinkie and a half to see how he does. In the beginning a pinkie bulge would last 2 full days. Now it's 24 hours and it's gone. I think he's fully past the danger zone now--thank God!
If they bulge is gone that fast, see if the little one will take two pinkies.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #5
msconana
You think? I'm so paranoid after the regurg issues! I knew I wanted a snake but had no idea how attached I'd get! I was very worried during his recovery process (he ate pinkie heads, then half pinkies, then full pinkies) but it worked and he seems healthy and content now. I wish I had someone around here familiar with baby corns to see what he looked like. He is definitely searching his feeding box for more food after I feed him, so I guess that's a sign that he needs more. And of course his quickly disappearing bulge :-) Any other signs I should look for? In the past week he's much more active than he's been before, always looking for an escape hole in the lid, climbing upside down in the teeny tiny crack between latched lid and tank (how do they do that??). I guess he has to start eating more at some point huh? Lol. I'm getting ready to foster another snake from our local rescue (he's been in rescue for over two years, big 5.5 ft male corn) and was told he ate 5 f/t mice once a week! I had NO idea they could eat that many! I just figured they ate something bigger, it didn't occur to me that just ate more...I have SO much to learn! Thanks for the info and advice everyone!

Old 06-28-2012, 03:01 AM   #6
bitsy
Quote:
He is definitely searching his feeding box for more food after I feed him, so I guess that's a sign that he needs more.
Actually, that's just instinct telling him that where there's one baby mouse there must be more, so find them and eat them as there's no telling when he'll next find food. In captivity, that isn't necessary because you guarantee his next meal.

It's just that their instincts rule them - don't be tempted to "feed on demand" as this hunting behaviour happens quite often and it's a good way to end up with a chubby snakie! I tend to look on it as good muscle-building exercise. He doesn't have a feeding schedule, so you have to keep it for him and make sure that he stays a safe weight.

Quote:
In the past week he's much more active than he's been before, always looking for an escape hole in the lid, climbing upside down in the teeny tiny crack between latched lid and tank
That's just a normal behaviour for a hatchling. Now that he's settled down, is recovering from the regurge and is gaining confidence, he's obviously starting to feel at home. Definitely not a sign that he needs to eat more though.

Quote:
I'm getting ready to foster another snake from our local rescue (he's been in rescue for over two years, big 5.5 ft male corn) and was told he ate 5 f/t mice once a week! I had NO idea they could eat that many!
Ouch!!! They CAN but that absolutely should NOT! One adult mouse a week for an adult Corn is absolutely the maximum I'd ever feed. Mine get one mouse every 2-3 weeks. In your shoes I wouldn't take feeding advice from that particular rescue. Sometimes meaning well and doing the right thing to keep animals healthy, aren't the same thing.

All Corns are capable of eating until they throw up - it's the same instinct that tells your baby to keep hunting. You need to understand the kind of desperate survival urges which drive them.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
msconana
You know, that's interesting, because now that I think of it the huge rescue snake seemed a little too round! I bet he's fat! I remember seeing somewhere a little drawing that showed an upside down V=too thin, an upside down U=perfect weight, and an O=too fat. I think big rescue boy was an O! I'll look again when I see him on the 7th. I do their training and take a snake home that day, I'm hoping it will be him. Should he be be weaned off his 5 mouse diet or go cold turkey? I don't want to stress him out in his new environment more than he already will be...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google