CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

How often should I feed

Old 08-22-2019, 02:07 PM   #1
Saml8
How often should I feed

Snow: 20 to 24 months
364g
39/40" long
She's a pet not a breeder
I'm feeding 1 adult mouse every 8 days

** I've read the Munson feeding schedule and it mentions adult females are generally fed every 6 to 8 days, however it also mentions brumation so I'm assuming this schedule is for breeders.

-- At what age are they considered adults and should I start lengthening the time between feedings or continue every 8 days?

Old 08-22-2019, 04:22 PM   #2
Pine
I think once a week would be fine.
That's what I do with my adult corns.
If your not going to breed, don't sweat it.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:30 PM   #3
hypnoctopus
At that size, I would feed one adult mouse every 10 to 14 days. The Munson schedule is a good guideline, but it's on the aggressive side. She's already at adult size and she's only 2 years old, so if you keep up that feeding schedule, she may start to get a bit fat. In captivity, we tend to overfeed them a bit. They certainly don't have such a regular schedule in the wild!

Adults are usually considered 3 years, 300 games, and 3 feet long.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:13 PM   #4
Saml8
Thanks for the info! So is 300g the desired weight?

Old 08-23-2019, 12:19 AM   #5
hypnoctopus
I'd say it's more about body shape once they're adults. 300 grams is usually considered the minimum weight for breeding, but your snake will continue to grow her entire life. It's just that once they're adults, the rate of growth slows down, so if you keep feeding her like you would a baby or juvenile, those calories may end up turning into fat. An ideal body shape for her is sort of like a loaf of bread. If she's triangular, then she's underweight, and if she's round and has bulges by her tail, then she's overweight. You can search for pictures of fat or skinny corn snakes to get an idea (although it sounds like her weight is perfectly fine).

Old 08-23-2019, 12:23 AM   #6
hypnoctopus
I apologize if I gave you the impression that she should lose weight! I meant that the minimum size that is usually considered an adult is 3 years, 300 grams, and 3 feet. They certainly can be larger than that!

Old 08-23-2019, 02:52 PM   #7
Saml8
No worries!

Old 08-26-2019, 09:17 PM   #8
DeuceRon
I use the Munson as a guide but I don't follow it to a T. I also think it's a tad aggressive.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google