CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Outcrossing

Old 02-08-2019, 05:12 PM   #1
MysticExotics
Outcrossing

One thing I don't see discussed much in Cornsnakes, that I have in other species like Morelia, is outcrossing, using unrelated snakes. Some go as far as using WC to outcross with.

Too often, you see 1.1 pairs being sold, to be bred, then they sell 1.1 pairs to be bred, and that cycle continues. It's going to cause problems at some point, with that amount of inbreeding.
Inbreeding and line breeding in snakes is ok, to a point. At some point, there should be some outcrossing of unrelated genes, to keep the lines strong and healthy.

For those of you who are breeding, have you, or how much do you outcross in your projects?

I have done some line breeding and in breeding, and will continue to do so on some projects, but I am careful to outcross as well, even if it means I end up taking a couple extra steps to get to my desired project.

Pictures to show some of my lineage.

Musai is a 2018 Miami Tessera I produced

Aster is her Dam, an LBR Miami (unrelated to any of my Corns)
Azurite is her sire, that I produced in 2015

Azurites parents are related, their clutch mates.

Brokk is Azurites sire
Kai is Azurites dam

(continued)

Old 02-08-2019, 05:19 PM   #2
MysticExotics
Brokk and Kai were produced here in 2011.

Taz is their sire, a SMR Okeetee Tessera
Kaia is their dam, an unkown history Miami. I have never seen another Miami like her. Unfortunately, she passed away.

Taz (borrowed from my friend Tara Smith/Small) and Kaia are the foundation stock to our Miami Tessera projects.
We did not expect the babies to turn out as they did, with the sire being Okeetee Tessera, we expected a couple generations to get to the Miami coloring.

I did get one baby that had more Okeetee type coloring out of the Brokk X Kai (clutchmates) pairing, that was Obsidian. Obsidian is one of the 7 Tessera's I have here from the Miami Tessera X Miami Tessera pairing, and am breeding them to see if/which ones are Homo Dominant (also referred to as "Super").

Old 02-08-2019, 05:49 PM   #3
MysticExotics
HERE is the threat for the foundation clutch, in 2011.

HERE is the Miami Tessera (Brokk) X Miami Tessera (Kai) clutch.

HERE is the 2018 Miami Tessera X LBR Miami clutch

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google