• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

morph help please

Raven

Hi everyone! I had a clutch hatch last year with unexpected results. I'm still working on my skills at morph ID so I just wanted some opinions on what I am looking at vs what I think they are.

Mom is supposedly anery stripe het lavender possibly het bloodred.
Dad is supposedly anery motley het bloodred. Diffused was not the term/recognized when I got them. I know there is a diffused-bloodred gene debate.

They are both obviously also het for amel due to getting snow types in the clutch.

Any help or suggestions would be great! Thanks again for any help.

Attachments

• VF 4.jpg
    VF 4.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 143
  • VF2.jpg
    VF2.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 144
  • VF3.jpg
    VF3.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 143
  • VF1a.jpg
    VF1a.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 146
  • VF5.jpg
    VF5.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 147
All Mots het stripe...Some neat pinstriping and "Q-tipping" hehe...Looks like they were het hypo too...?...So anery, snow and ghost(?) mots het stripe...I'd be guessing as far as to whether they are diffused without seeing them firsthand...and would probably still be a best guess :grin01:

Thanks Chris! Those were my guesses as they aged as well. The only thing I was sure of was motley/stripe for all of them. They looked nothing like ghost (in my opinion) as hatchlings. And the "snows" were off as well. The addition of the hypo gene made sense.

As for the bloodred/diffused being in there, many of them have frosted heads. I was thinking one of the anerys looked granite for a while. I can't get good pictures of the snows. The one is really frosted but looks pink in all the pictures. The other one is pink, white and peach.

I know there is a good deal of variation in amels and anerys. Some of this clutch looks standard steel grey, some are very dark with minimal to no yellow and a few look like this.

Attachments

• VF8.jpg
    VF8.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 140
These are the best I have at the moment (only baby pictures of dad). I can look later and take better pictures in a few days - both are dusty right now. Hope they help.

Attachments

• Vlad baby.jpg
    Vlad baby.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 133
  • Vlad baby2.jpg
    Vlad baby2.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 131
  • Freya 1b.jpg
    Freya 1b.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 132
Mom finally shed. Waiting on the dad. Hope these help in IDing the morphs. Mom used to be very light and had a pink/purple back. She has darkened over time. Dad used to be very dark and lightened over time.

Attachments

• Freya 2019 1b.jpg
    Freya 2019 1b.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 117
  • Freya 2019 5b.jpg
    Freya 2019 5b.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 119
I also noticed that some of the babies have not black but dark ruby pupils. It doesn't show well when I take the photos so I apologize for the lighting.

Attachments

• VF11b.jpg
    VF11b.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 113
the (hypo?) snow

Yours is not a Hypo Snow. Yours is what is referred to as a Redfactor snow. Redfactor is an incomplete dominant mutation which even in het (heterozygous meaning it only has one copy of the mutation) form can be visual though not as much as it is in homo (homozygous meaning it has two copies of the mutation) form. Some people use the terms Coral Snow for the het form and Salmon Snow for the Homo form however those are actually lines of Redfactor Snows named by Jim Stelpflug and subsequently used by JMG in the Coral Arena while Jim Stelpflug decided to change the name of his to Salmon. Those terms were originally used back in the day when it was believed that Hypo and Strawberry were in fact the cause of the additional pink however since then they've proven that the additional pink comes from a red enhancing mutation they dubbed as Redfactor.

So if the one snow that has the "stripe" is redfactor snow and not hypo, what are his peachy brown morph siblings? They can't be ghost then, correct? I mean they can be, but that would be a lot of compatible hets that the parents had.

Since you know amel is there because of the snows maybe you have ultra in the mix too. That would explain the pupil color being red/ruby.

Yours is not a Hypo Snow. Yours is what is referred to as a Redfactor snow. Redfactor is an incomplete dominant mutation which even in het (heterozygous meaning it only has one copy of the mutation) form can be visual though not as much as it is in homo (homozygous meaning it has two copies of the mutation) form. Some people use the terms Coral Snow for the het form and Salmon Snow for the Homo form however those are actually lines of Redfactor Snows named by Jim Stelpflug and subsequently used by JMG in the Coral Arena while Jim Stelpflug decided to change the name of his to Salmon. Those terms were originally used back in the day when it was believed that Hypo and Strawberry were in fact the cause of the additional pink however since then they've proven that the additional pink comes from a red enhancing mutation they dubbed as Redfactor.

So if the one snow that has the "stripe" is redfactor snow and not hypo, what are his peachy brown morph siblings? They can't be ghost then, correct? I mean they can be, but that would be a lot of compatible hets that the parents had.

I'm not saying hypo isn't in the mix. It still very well could be. From what I can see from the pics it appears you have some Anery Motley, some Ghost Motley, and some Snow Motley. Did you not get any Amel in the clutch at all?

They are all motley-stripe. And no amel. I'm pretty sure that would be impossible given the parents genetics since they are both anery type morphs. Im now questioning if they are anery a or b or a combo. The only reason I can suspect or conclude amel is even a genetic factor were the snow base morph hatchlings meanining both parents were also het for amel.

They are all motley-stripe. And no amel. I'm pretty sure that would be impossible given the parents genetics since they are both anery type morphs. Im now questioning if they are anery a or b or a combo. The only reason I can suspect or conclude amel is even a genetic factor were the snow base morph hatchlings meanining both parents were also het for amel.

Yes, I agree. I didn't realize both parents were Anery. As for having a snow in the clutch both parents are definitely het for Amel in order to get the snow. Why are you questioning which Anery they are? Is there a specific reason or just curiosity? Can you post a good eye pic of both. I should be able to tell if it's one or the other based on the color of the iris. Now if they're both, that can be a bit more tricky but can still probably tell.

Know what genes they are expressing or carrying will help me ID the babies properly and plan any potential future pairings. I will get better eye pictures of the parents screen I'm home. I'm still waiting on my male to shed.

They are definitely not charcoals, which is anery b. Nor do they look like carbons. The parents are anery A.

Thanks Shiari. How can you tell the difference? I was always under the impression that the 2 adults were Anery (a), but if the hatchlings are a ghost morph like some are suggesting then the parents are het for anery b. If there is no charcoal gene, then what morph are the peach/tan babies?

Back