• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Late 2012/2013 Black Rat Snakes

Just reading this and I had no idea they were so willing to bite! I've caught tons of wild ones even as a kid (mostly sub adults) and have never been bitten... Maybe I'm just lucky O_O... Look what you guys did. Now if I see one again I might hesitate before grabbing it lol!

Just reading this and I had no idea they were so willing to bite! I've caught tons of wild ones even as a kid (mostly sub adults) and have never been bitten... Maybe I'm just lucky O_O... Look what you guys did. Now if I see one again I might hesitate before grabbing it lol!
That makes two of us. I have 8 black rat snakes right now and have NEVER been bit. I've also caught many in the wild (four in 2012) and have never been bit. I do have a large adult WC female that will musk when handled for a long time...but never a strike or bite.
I have a young female that is the tamest & most gentle snake in my collection..even more easy going than my corns. I've never seen a eastern black rat that couldn't be tamed with regular handling. If they are regularly handled right out of the egg they will be as calm as any corn.
Maybe I've just been very lucky. :shrugs: But with all the black rat snakes I've had that's REALLY REALLY lucky.

That's good to hear. The only wild snakes we have here are garter snakes, and they just musk lol but I spent the better part of my childhood catching them with my friends and feeding them frogs, etc.

I really love the jet black rat's. I think I'm more intrigued by them than any other snake species I've researched. I like the idea that they are a bit more challenging than a corn, and are larger but not python large :)

Can you give any comparison between the black ratsnake and a King? I seem to find a lot more info online on captive kings than black ratsnakes. Can you even compare those two or is that like comparing a Boa and cornsnake??

My mind is still made up for owning black rats. Once I finish my corn's viv project, I'm going to start building a viv specifically for a black ratsnake. I have some ideas to enhance the beauty of a jet black snake, then I'll get in touch with Steve about sending one to WA in spring/summer.

My black rat is a little bit feistier than a corn, but he's still a baby! Once he's out, he's usually very sweet, and is much more "aware" than my corns. He looks me in the eyes a lot!

My black rat is a little bit feistier than a corn, but he's still a baby! Once he's out, he's usually very sweet, and is much more "aware" than my corns. He looks me in the eyes a lot!

Thats exactly what I want :) I love hearing experiences from people who have black rats, because there's very little on the web.
Thank you so much! I love the fact he looks you in the eyes, I'm seriously looking forward to owning one asap!

I love the look of black rats and wish I could own one, but they are native to MI and a "species of special concern" here, and unless you have a permit (which I've heard aren't easy to get) they are illegal to own. Leucistic black rats are ok though, does anyone know if their temperament is comparable to a regular black rat?

ETA: Crud, just noticed this is Steve's sale thread, sorry to hijack it. Should we make a new thread somewhere to discuss the beauty/temperament of rat snakes?

ETA: Crud, just noticed this is Steve's sale thread, sorry to hijack it. Should we make a new thread somewhere to discuss the beauty/temperament of rat snakes?

Your right, I was thinking about that when I started bombing with all the questions . But I wasn't sure if it was appropriate since this a cornsnake forum, so I kept my questions here. ( I will be purchasing from Steve though, so he did get a sale ;) )

Back