CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Hatchling Off Food

Old 09-13-2014, 01:46 AM   #1
KNims
Hatchling Off Food

Hello! I'm new to snake ownership! I recently purchased a small hatchling corn from a friend of mine. He had only fed once before I got him (I know, should have waited a little longer!). He looks healthy...very alert and curious. However, since I brought him home, he is totally disinterested in food. He hasn't eaten in about 14 days. He's about a month old. I don't handle him, as I thought he may be stressed, and I move him into a small container when I attempt to feed him. Should I keep attempting regular feedings? Or should I seek out a vet? Vivarium is 85 degrees. Fresh water. Hide, and right now I am using a paper towel rather than aspen. He seems to enjoy the paper towel, as he hides under it often. Thoughts? Again, I'm new to snake ownership, so it may be something I'm doing wrong that's stressing him.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:02 AM   #2
hypnoctopus
The first thing I would try would be in the evening, place him in a small deli cup in a dark quiet place, like a closet. Leave him alone for half an hour in there. Heat up a pinky really hot, pour some boiling water over it and put it in the container with him. Leave him alone with it for at least an hour in the dark quiet place. Do not peek or disturb him at all. Check on him after an hour to see if he's eaten. If he hasn't, reheat the pinky and leave it with him overnight. If he still hasn't eaten overnight, toss the pinky away.

If that doesn't work for you, you can read through this list of feeding tricks: http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131573

The main thing, though, is don't try to feed him too often. Only try like once every 3-5 days. Keep handling to a minimum, or not at all, until he's eating reliably.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:46 AM   #3
cguarino30
One thing that stands out to me is your temperature. When you say the viv is 85 degrees, do you mean overall or just in the hot spot? 85 is way too warm for an ambient temperature. The snake should be able to retreat to an area in the low 70s when desired. If 85 is your warm area, and the cool side is in the 70s, then please disregard this.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
feeding problem, hatchling