CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Getting into it ;D

Old 06-17-2011, 04:30 AM   #1
Illidan
Getting into it ;D

Hey, long time lurker here. My name is Illidan (go figure, lol). I recently got my first reptile... a one-to-three-month old hatchling. Not sure on the sex yet (Tend to say "him" though) Or a name, for that matter.
The first time I brought him home, he slithered all around his new terrarium checking it out--he drank from the water dish, which excited me unreasonably, haha. He even climbed onto the rims, and after retired to the mushroom ledge I have hanging in there (I'm going to take it out when he gets bigger). He slept on it (I think, he was there overnight) then receded into his hide--where he has remained for the most part. Sometimes if I peak my head around the corner he's laying out in the clear... he runs back to the hide if he sees me though :P I'm not sure if I should just leave him alone (not go into the room) or if I should try to be around.

It's been a few days; I haven't tried to handle him at all yet. His feeding day is Sunday.

I'm wondering how long I should let him settle before I pick him up? I watched him the first day quite a bit and he followed me around the tank when I circled.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:11 AM   #2
BigByrd47119
Hello and welcome aboard!

My personal opinion is this. Because the entire purpose of waiting seven days to mess with the snake is to allow it to settle it, just act normal. If you walk by the cage ten times a day on average, continue to do so. What ever the snake will experience in a month from now is what you should deliver today (aside from the holding).

Feeding days are always fun!

Old 06-17-2011, 01:03 PM   #3
Dreamsnake
I think you could get away with holding him for a few minutes on Sat to check out his scales and give the tank a once over. Then feed on Sun, wait a day or two and take him out again. Just don't over tax the little guy; they burn a lot of energy with handling. Once you learn your snakes habits it is easier to tell when they need more exercise or only a little bit. That is one of the reasons most of us have several snakes.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:19 PM   #4
Ares2010
I agree with Dreamsnake.. just take "him" out for a little bit on Saturday to make sure his tank is all in order and to change his water.. and then take him out Sunday to eat. "he" should settle in nicely.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
Illidan
Thanks each of you for clearing that up for me I'm glad there's a community based around cornsnakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamsnake View Post
I think you could get away with holding him for a few minutes on Sat to check out his scales and give the tank a once over. Then feed on Sun, wait a day or two and take him out again.
I'm going to take this advice, thank you!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
hatchling