CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Two heads are better then one, I guess...

Old 07-26-2005, 02:46 PM   #31
Mr.Incredible
Hey Rich, be sure to post some pics at feeding time, that will be most interesting

Old 07-27-2005, 01:45 AM   #32
Rich Z
So far she has shown no interest in food. Guess she'll wind up being just another one of those "I remember when I hatched out....." sort of things.

Old 07-27-2005, 07:31 PM   #33
Snowfyre
Eating

If it comes down to her not eating, and you don't have time to work with her, I'd be willing to try and work with her and get her eating. I know you have alot of work to do. I've gotten other problem feeders eating. Sometimes it takes a hell of alot of time to get them to do it. If I can get a six inch cornsnake to eat on its own, I can't see her being too much harder. I'll just have to deal with the fact that one head is biting me when I'm trying to feed the other. I'm sure there are others that wouldn't mind working with her either. SHe's beautiful. hehe I'd be willing to buy the 4.00 anoles to get a two headed snake eating. Good luck either way!

Old 07-28-2005, 02:12 AM   #34
Quigs
Oh my...

That was so pathetic.

I was also amused by the advice given to Rich (of all people) about feeding this little girl!

The last bicephalic snake I saw was a Thayeri/Ruthveni king intergrade. It was hatched here in STL last August and the pricetag was $20,000. Last I heard it was still not sold but had some offers from large institutions. (colleges, zoos, research facilties, etc)

Somehow, I really doubt that Rich is going to toss this one out as a freebie. If it decides to eat, I wouldn't doubt it goes up for sale with a hefty asking price. If it doesn't eat...well, you know...

Fact of the matter is, although they are interesting to look at, they are freaks of nature. The sucess with bicephalic snakes is not very good. I believe the STL Zoo had a bicephalic bull snake that lived for 3 years...that's a pretty long time from what I understand. Most don't make it a year...even if they are eating well.

Just my .02 worth...

Q

Old 07-28-2005, 05:10 AM   #35
Jessicat
Snowfyre, It looks from the pictures as though the necks are connected all the way to the heads. I'd think that one head would have to try pretty hard to get its mouth around the other..

Old 07-28-2005, 02:53 PM   #36
Snowfyre
Tact

Quigs, all I was doing was trying to be helpful. Not be rude or anything. Rich is busier then hell, which is why he sells his non-feeders rather than spend the time forcefeeding and stuff. If what I said was taken as insulting to Rich, then I apologize profusely to him. But you could try to be a bit more sensitive about how you word things please.

And Jessica, Yeah looking back at the pics i can see the joints now. I did alot of research on some of the bicephalic snakes for a report. So I know that they fall prey to alot of issues at times. I'm glad that it doesn't have the split necks. Thanks for pointing it out.

Old 08-01-2005, 03:05 AM   #37
dberes
Rich,

Contact Prehistoric Pets. They have a couple two headed snakes. They could probably help you on the feeding part. If i'm not mistaken Renegade Reptiles hatched out a 2 headed cal king a few years back too. If I remember correctly when feeding the king, she had to put a 3x5 card between the heads when feeding one of them so they wouldn't try and bite eachother. You can most likely contact Renegade for info too.

Good luck with her!
Drenton

Old 08-03-2005, 02:59 PM   #38
Rich Z
Well my wife got it to eat a frozen/thawed anole yesterday. She said only one of the heads acted interested and the other one was just watching curiously. We figure if both heads grab the same meal, we'll be ready with a blade to cut the feed item in half to satisfy both of the heads. But at least it is eating.

It did pose a problem when I wanted to set it up in a cage to feed it, though. Normally I set up new babies in deli cups with those water dishes I designed. However in this instance, I was afraid to do so, thinking that it might get BOTH heads stuck in the water dish, since it wasn't designed with two headed snakes in mind.

Old 08-03-2005, 03:07 PM   #39
Khaman
I am glad you got it to eat. Hopefully it thrives for you..and you figure out what to do with it

Old 08-03-2005, 05:19 PM   #40
Rich Z
Heck, more then likely I will just take it to the Daytona Beach Expo and put a big price tag on it. It's a pretty neat looking animal, but to be honest, I really don't have room here for nicknack types of animals. Besides, if this snake does develop the aggressive feed response I have seen from most of my Blood Reds, it will be a real terror when it gets bigger.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google