CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Corns in the wild

Old 06-07-2018, 11:20 AM   #1
Twolunger
Corns in the wild

I went field herping with my grandson a couple months ago and found a really beautiful corn that resembled a hypo. It was about 5 miles from my home in thick brush. Two days ago I saw a car hit a snake that was crossing the road just 500 feet from my house. I was surprised to find that it was a corn, and appeared to be a ghost morph. I was going to try to save it, but unfortunately it died. It would appear that there are both hypos and anerys in my area. The heavy rains in southwest Florida seem to be making the snakes very active and I've found several hit by cars, including scarlet kingsnakes, black racers, corns, and coachwhips.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:24 PM   #2
Frank Pinello
Sounds like me and my son should take the trip to the other side of the peninsula and do some field herping with you guys. I knew that anerys are relatively common over there but would love to stumble on a wild hypo.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:03 PM   #3
Twolunger
I can't count the number of times I've been out herping with nothing to show for it but mosquito or no-se-um bites. It's hit or miss, with a typical day seeing a lot of black racers and tortoises. I like to take the grandkids to Jelks Preserve. It's 640 acres of wild habitat with 8 miles of hiking trails. In the same area is Sleeping Turtle Preserve, but it's much smaller, with less than 200 acres.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:32 PM   #4
Twolunger
Well I went on a 10 mile bike herping trip and saw black racers, hatchling racers, ringed snakes, black spinytailed iguanas, tortoises, and a road killed garter snake, racers, and a rattlesnake. Wasn't too happy seeing another rattler, as that's the 4th one within a mile of my house.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:41 AM   #5
DeuceRon
That's quite a list of creatures, but Rattlers? No thanks!

Old 07-31-2018, 10:53 AM   #6
Twolunger
I limit my walks in the scrub brush due to the rattlers. If I do go off the beaten paths I walk very slowly and keep an eye out for them. They are one of the few snakes I see slithering about in the hottest part of the day down here. With all the leaf litter they are hard to spot.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:04 PM   #7
Gemini8910
Rattlesnakes are the main reason why I don't go out field herping much in my area. We have them pretty much everywhere, since most of the wild nature areas still left are all scrub brush. My local nature center even kept a live one so the kids could see and study them safely behind glass and know what they look like if they come across one in the wild.

It'd be cool to find some wild corns someday though, I might have to see if there's a good place to go looking for them around here.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:29 PM   #8
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini8910 View Post
Rattlesnakes are the main reason why I don't go out field herping much in my area. We have them pretty much everywhere, since most of the wild nature areas still left are all scrub brush. My local nature center even kept a live one so the kids could see and study them safely behind glass and know what they look like if they come across one in the wild.

It'd be cool to find some wild corns someday though, I might have to see if there's a good place to go looking for them around here.
Your location info shows you live in California. Although not impossible these days, I would imagine finding a corn snake in California might be a real long shot.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:48 PM   #9
Gemini8910
Yeah, I don't think I've seen any corns before. I've seen a couple others that I didn't know enough about to identify, but most of the wild snakes I've come across have been rattlesnakes unfortunately.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:26 PM   #10
Twolunger
While you may not find any corns, you should find kingsnakes in California. Keep an eye out for the type of boots that herpers wear when going on rattlesnake hunts. I saw a used pair for sale on Craig's List a while ago. Thick leather and tall too.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google