CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

"Dirty" stripes on normal corn

Old 03-15-2007, 09:06 PM   #1
Flagg
"Dirty" stripes on normal corn

My first corn is an 05 normal female from Moreptiles.com.

She seems to have the standard "normal" patterning and coloring, but there are also stripes down her lengthof sort of dirty looking dark spots. She's had this since I got her and it's still there after every shed.

Does anyone know what this is from? A het gene for something perhaps? Or is it just a normal variation that occurs in corn snakes?

None of my other corns have anything like it that I've noticed.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:24 PM   #2
Roy Munson
It's totally normal. It's very common in wild-caught corns. It has been bred out of many selectively bred lines, but not all. My Upper Keys het "Z/Cinder" male has very distinctive melanin stripes, despite the fact that Keys corns are noted for their hypo-ish appearance. I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg
My first corn is an 05 normal female from Moreptiles.com.

She seems to have the standard "normal" patterning and coloring, but there are also stripes down her lengthof sort of dirty looking dark spots. She's had this since I got her and it's still there after every shed.

Does anyone know what this is from? A het gene for something perhaps? Or is it just a normal variation that occurs in corn snakes?

None of my other corns have anything like it that I've noticed.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:32 PM   #3
Flagg
Thanks. I figured it was something like that, but since none of my other 4 corns seem to have it, I wasn't sure.

So if I bred this female to another corn without the melanin stripes, would all the offspring have it, or some, or would it be less distinct? Probably all of the above.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:10 AM   #4
Flagg
As it turns out, this snake came originally ina bulk purchase from Rich Zuchowski so she could be het for pretty much anything.

Any ideas as to what the best match would be to try to find out what genes she is hiding?

I have a charcoal het amel male that I may give it a shot with next year, but it would be nice if there were something a bit more exotic, as I already have a blizzard female for him.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:13 AM   #5
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg
So if I bred this female to another corn without the melanin stripes, would all the offspring have it, or some, or would it be less distinct? Probably all of the above.
Hard to say. The female counterpart to the snake I posted above is probably his sister, but her melanin stripes are not well defined at all. I don't think the heredity of this feature can be described by any simple model.

Quote:
As it turns out, this snake came originally ina bulk purchase from Rich Zuchowski so she could be het for pretty much anything.

Any ideas as to what the best match would be to try to find out what genes she is hiding?

I have a charcoal het amel male that I may give it a shot with next year, but it would be nice if there were something a bit more exotic, as I already have a blizzard female for him.
Well, as you acknowledged, a Serpenco snake could be het for just about anything. The charcoal het amel is a good choice, but I'd probably choose something that's multi-homozygous for some common AND more exotic traits, with some hets thrown in too. Maybe a hypo-lavender het amel motley, or an amber motley het amel. Something like that...

Old 03-16-2007, 01:08 PM   #6
tom e
My blood red has that exact same sort of striping down his sides.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:42 PM   #7
Nanci
My WC normal has that stripe- it continues to get more pronounced. Her black saddle outlines are thin and faint, though.

Nanci

Old 03-16-2007, 01:50 PM   #8
tom e
I won't post the pics again, but if you search my post, "introducing holden" I think it's the second pic that shows those stripes best. Are these the natural stripes that breeders strive to accentuate when breeding for stripes?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google