CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

"AKC" type registry for reptiles?

Old 02-20-2005, 03:27 PM   #21
Hurley
Well, depends on your tastes. Have you been to the AKC's site? Collage of dogs, etc. I thought compared to most sites out there, it was a nicely done site. It doesn't look corporate, but imo should not have to.

It's not a black and white issue and I admit most of it is taste, but on a scale from "MY WBE PAGGE" to "Microsoft.com", I'd call it 75-80 professional.

Old 02-20-2005, 03:29 PM   #22
Serpwidgets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley
No one will ever get this to fly if they are trying to make money at it...not in the corn world.
I agree 1000% on this point. I think if it's going to succeed in the corn world, it will have to be done by someone who is willing to put in the effort, from their own desire to see it get done, in order to get it rolling. If it happens to pay itself back later, that would be a nice bonus.

The other problem I have with the current design is that they want $500 to recognize any new morph. IMO that is outrageous. Especially with genetic color/pattern variations. It either is or is not, regardless of whether or not they "recognize" it. Seems to me like an effort to cash in on someone else's discoveries. Maybe that's worthwhile in species where new stuff sells for $50,000 each, but in corns I won't even consider such a thing. That alone is enough for me to say I'll never be involved in that particular effort.

My only interest is in establishing a database, a very large family tree. I could see having breed standards for Okeetees, Miamis, Candycanes, Sunglows, and Reverse Okeetees but that's an entirely different and independent issue.

Old 02-20-2005, 03:33 PM   #23
Menhir
@Hurley - oh, I didn't compare them to the others.
But - I'm quite shure that the other organisations where already well known before the internet-thing came on. That means, if you know Gibson Guitars, it doesn't matter if they have 10 flying guitars on their site and all that in pink... people know the guitar and they will ignore that "stuff".
Different thing here, they are unknown and just have to come to peoples minds, getting peoples trust and so on.

It may be personal taste, but one main don't in "professional" webdesign is - black background is for pu**ys.
(just kidding...)

Old 02-20-2005, 03:38 PM   #24
Hurley
@Menhir

LOL! But, but... I won't argue web design do's and don'ts with ya. Not my specialty. For having a black background, it looks fairly professional...how's that? Hehehe We split the difference from black and white on our page. Can we be quasi-professional, then?

Sum up: Point acknowledged and taken.

Old 02-20-2005, 04:31 PM   #25
Joejr14
No no. I dont like how that website it set up at all.

As was touched upon, those prices are just unacceptable.

$25 for a clutch, plus $1 per hatchling? Too much. What's that come out to, $40 per clutch?

So say you hatch out 500 babies, and say there's an average of 12 eggs per clutch. That comes out to 42 clutches, rounded up. So, to register the clutches and the hatchlings it'd be $1550? Pfft.

Those prices need to come WAY down before this would even get off the ground. The prices need to cover the cost of running the website and that's about it. Maybe some for time consideration, but nothing overboard.

I think eventually you'd like to be able to assign "serial numbers" to breeders and let them upload their own things to the database and have everything sorted by phenotype and or breeder name/serial number.

I think letting people vote on who has the best 'line' would also be somewhat beneficial.

Old 02-20-2005, 05:08 PM   #26
kathylove
I agreee that it can't cost too much money since most corns seem to sell for well under $50 each, and most probably at half or less of that. I would think that a breeder would only have to register a whole clutch, like the CFA (cats) has you send in to register a litter. Then the new owner either registers his individual, or not, as he desires. So the breeder wouldn't have to pay for each individual registration. I also think it would only work if there were quantity discounts available for registering large numbers of founder stock. As you said, without large numbers and some time elapsed, the effort will mean very little. But I am guessing that she will have to be flexible and let her plan evolve, if it is to work. I asked her to check in on the discussion once there has been enough time to see what points are being made. Then she can add her viewpoint on the whole thing too.

I am not familiar with the plans of Nancy Swamp and hope she comes to let us know what she is doing and how far along she is.

Old 02-20-2005, 05:26 PM   #27
CornCrazy
I have a question (it may have already been covered and if so, I apologize). How would those of us who are small hobby breeders with snakes from many different sources go about being able to register our "base" stock? I have quite a few snakes that are from "big" breeders. Those would be fairly easy to deal with, but what about the snakes I have from the smaller breeders and the snakes that I have that are "genetically" not proven, yet? Would they be able to be registered only if they fit the "standards?" I realize that the pedigrees have to start somewhere. I guess what I am concerned about is what if we do not know what the parents were? Is that going to keep us from being able to "register" our animals? Am I only going to be able to register the snakes I got from say Serpenco or South Mountain Reptiles?

Old 02-20-2005, 05:42 PM   #28
kathylove
If I were running it, I would start at present day, although would record previous generations if known. If it looks like (for example) an alb. okeetee, then it IS an albino okeetee, for as long as the stud book stays open. I would try to ascertain that it is pure corn (or creamsicle, or whatever) as much as possible, but am not sure by what methods. Probably just a statement by the owner. Can't afford DNA tests, lol! After a few generations of only breediing registered animals to each other, presumably the "best" to the "best" whenever possible, the looks would become more estabished and predictable.

But I don't plan to take on this project, so am not sure exactly how it will be decided.

Old 02-20-2005, 05:56 PM   #29
Joejr14
I think the only way that this is going to take off is if the big guys are willing to partake in this.

But then like I said, why would they? It's just another cost to them, and really, why take a loss on something like this? They've got the reputation and namesake already, so no real point.

For most of the smaller guys, at least from what I've heard---do it just as a hobby and really arent in the green on their bottom line---so I just dont know how this is going to work.

I think we need a lot more brainstorming on exactly what and how we want this to be done. No sense in rushing it.

Old 02-20-2005, 06:10 PM   #30
CornCrazy
Thank you Kathy! To be honest, I do think that the "big" breeders are going to have to get involved. Because they are more experienced, they would be better able to determine what each morph should look like. I think it will be MUCH easier, however, if a hobbyist breeder takes on the bulk of the responsibility because he/she would have more time to devote to the project.

I personally would volunteer, but I would not know where to begin. Kathy, if you or someone else would be willing to help me (or point me in the right direction, then I would be more than happy to give it a shot.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google