• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Calico Corn Information?

Topazfyre

Hey all! I didn't want to dig up a four year old post, so I'm creating a new thread to ask a couple questions about the Calico corns from a while back. My initial readings came from this thread and Kathy Love's book.

Here are my questions, that by now are probably unable to be answered, but still worth a try...
:shrugs:

1. Is the Calico line still being bred by any breeders at this point in time?
2. If not, does anyone know what happened to the products of it? (Mysteriously disappeared, destroyed, etc?)
3. Is it possible that this line was integrated into any other morphs?
4. In the original information blisters and other autoimmune symptoms are said to be associated with this line. Were these blisters aggrovated at all by antibacterial treatment?
5. Was the true nature of the autoimmune effects ever explored fully?
6. Have there been any records of this line popping up in people's collections?
7. Were there ever any pictures of the blisters taken? If so, does anyone know where these pictures may be found?

Also, if anyone has any other updated information regarding this line, that'd be great. The nature of this line truely intrigues me and I'd love to learn more about it, if I'm not already a couple years too late. Thanks in advance!

calico corns

Hi, I to am very interested in finding out more about calico corns and I am interested in knowing if you have found anything out yet. The reason I am interested in them is because on a recent hunting trip I aquired a calico corn that is 95% white with only scattered scale coloring only a few scales in diameter across it's body, so , I am seriously looking for some one that can point my in the right direction to get some type of breeder program started. Thanks for any info that you can give!

Hi, I to am very interested in finding out more about calico corns and I am interested in knowing if you have found anything out yet. The reason I am interested in them is because on a recent hunting trip I aquired a calico corn that is 95% white with only scattered scale coloring only a few scales in diameter across it's body, so , I am seriously looking for some one that can point my in the right direction to get some type of breeder program started. Thanks for any info that you can give!

Hard to tell in a little avatar photo. Is yours a true calico corn or could it be a ruby-freckles snow instead? Your description sounds more like a ruby-freckled snow.

Hi Susan, no it is not a ruby freckled corn, they have the albino eyes, mine has normal eyes. Sorry about picture I have not figured out how to down load picture to commit post.

Piebald/calico corn snake.

Attachments

• piebald corn snake 001-1.jpg
    piebald corn snake 001-1.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 1,729
Last edited by a moderator:
I had the ability to check the photo of this gorgeous snake out very close-up. Was this snake more a normal color early in life and the white "took over" as it got older? The colored scales show a variety of colorations but I can't determine if they are exactly like a corn snake's or another rat snake species. The eyes are not normal for either an amel-based or normal corn as the iris is blue and the pupil is like a ruby colored corn. They actually remind me of a leucistic Texas rat snake's eyes. I'm thinking it may be more like a paradox leucistic Texas rat snake and not a calico corn at all.

The eyes are not normal for either an amel-based or normal corn as the iris is blue and the pupil is like a ruby colored corn. They actually remind me of a leucistic Texas rat snake's eyes. I'm thinking it may be more like a paradox leucistic Texas rat snake and not a calico corn at all.

I have to agree - when I saw the head and eyes I was confused as it doesn't look like a corn to me.

Saying that, it is an extraordinarily beautiful animal.

I´m no real expert but is piedbaldism/calico effect not a real mutation more like a desease common to human lupus?
Many of the "pied" corns shows bubbles all over their body instead of the normal of the clutch?!
Think the only piebaldism is the pied sided effect od the diffused gene and these morph think is called snowflake from 05 am i right if not please correct me!

I´m no real expert but is piedbaldism/calico effect not a real mutation more like a desease common to human lupus?
Many of the "pied" corns shows bubbles all over their body instead of the normal of the clutch?!
Think the only piebaldism is the pied sided effect od the diffused gene and these morph think is called snowflake from 05 am i right if not please correct me!

No, pied is a trait that shows up in other animals and is just a simple trait. There are pied ball pythons for example...

I do believe that is a black rat snake, not a corn. A macro shot of the head scalation should confirm the ID

sry my post was just related to corns not to other species.
think i expressed it incorrectly!

the little "eyebrow" scales on the head SCREAM black rat to me... they always look pissed off because of them. either way, its a bad-ass snake, and I want it.

I agree....I'd like to hear more about the finding of this snake....it doesn't seem likely that an animal like this would survive to adulthood...so if it's truly wild-caught, I'd say this is a VERY rare find!

Does anyone know how the name "calico" came to be applied to these snakes? I work with cats, and calico says to me "tri-color", whereas I would be more likely to describe these guys being shown as "torti", being bi-color and without much blotching.

Back