• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Ultra Mystery...

joe,

Joe, I am one of the biggest Mike Shiver fans out there believe me when I tell you. I know he didnt at the time fully understand what was happening with these snakes. After the Hybrid(whatever happended to that)thing I asked him to get in contact with me. He didnt. He emailed me not too long before that and asked about a butter I had up for sale so for him to say he cant contact me is rubbish. He has both of my phone numbers as we have spent hours on the phone discussing these snakes. Never once did the word hybrid come up. In my opinion, it was done in poor fashion. I dont need anyone to tell me that these snakes are very different and special, I only nagged for your opinions because I know you guys have a better handle on it than I do. I know by our phone conversation last week that its obvious that I do not have a grasp as to what I have. Its as simple as that. That being said. I appreciate that you and Rich are trying to come up with some answers for me and others. I am very confused by these hatchlings that popped out and thats really it. I think I'll take a step back from the forums and the photos and perhaps when I breed them this year I'll have a better idea of what is what. I'll let you all know what the results are if I get results. Thanks

ecreipeoj said:
Is there an Amber in the photo? The comparison photo of a Goldust and Amber on page one seemed clear.

Joe - No, there are no Ambers in that photo. Those babies are the result of breeding my GoldDust male to a Caramel Motley female. I do not have any adult Caramel Motleys even possibly het for Hypomelanism. Well scratch that word "possibly". I forgot we are dealing with Hypomelanism! None are KNOWN to be heterozygous for Hypomelanism nor from any line that has produced hypomelanistics in the past.

One page one, the photos I posted are the result of the GoldDust bred to an Amber. ALL of the babies are standard looking Caramels.

Please define Ultra and Ultramel.

Can someone tell me what an Ultra corn is? Would it be a different or new type of HYPO? Also what exactly is ULTRAMEL? Also how many different types of Hypo are out there now? Can someone list page numbers of photos that the above animals maybe on? Thanks, Stephen

Stephen29 said:
Can someone tell me what an Ultra corn is? Would it be a different or new type of HYPO? Also what exactly is ULTRAMEL? Also how many different types of Hypo are out there now? Can someone list page numbers of photos that the above animals maybe on? Thanks, Stephen
Ultra is an allele to amel. An ultramel is heterozygous for Ultra/Amel.
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15302 shows the outcomes of crosses at this locus.

More Ultra X Amel breedings?

It looks like I have found a couple more Ultra breedings to Amels. One of the Breedings is from a Frosted Ghost X Snow and the other is from a Blue Eyed Ghost X Snow. The resulting clutches where about ½ Snows and Ghost. A couple of them look like what I would expect a Ultramel Ghost to look like. They are almost a Snow, but not quite.

One guy is calling them an Ultralite Ghost and the other is calling them a Blue Eyed Snow. They look to be the same Phenotype and the Ultra Gene and Amel Genes are involved in both cases.

These first photos are from the Frosted Ghost X Snow breeding. The hypo gene involved was unknown at the time, but his breeding results are what we would expect from a Ultra Ghost X Snow. There is a chain of possession back to Andy Barr, which is very likely from an Ultra X GraySnow breeding.

In the center of the photo of the clutch, there is a very light Ghost, which almost looks like a Snow, but is not quite there. It is very likely an Ultramel Ghost, which the breeder was calling an Ultralite Ghost at the time. The photo of the “male” is this same “Ultralite” Ghost.

Attachments

• Frosted 2.jpg
    Frosted 2.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 155
  • frostedhead1.jpg
    frostedhead1.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 162
  • mix2 ultralite.jpg
    mix2 ultralite.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 159
  • Picture_0279frsteye.jpg
    Picture_0279frsteye.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 160
  • Picture_0277Mfrst.jpg
    Picture_0277Mfrst.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 159
Blue Eyed Ghost and Blue Eyed Snows

These photos are of an Ultra Ghost and “Blue Eyed Snow“. The “Blue Eyed Snow” came from a breeding of an Ultra Ghost X Snow. The “Blue Eyed” Snow looks to be the same phenotype as the above “Ultralite” Ghost.

Attachments

• rubyghost2.jpg
    rubyghost2.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 159
  • rubysnow.jpg
    rubysnow.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 161
Hey Joe,

I've been raising up a pair of 'frosted ghosts' I picked up a while back, who fit the description of the above snakes... as hatchlings, they had a look that was much closer to snow than to ghost... Gonna be fun when they're big enough to do test breedings, but won't be for a few more years.

The attached pictures are of the male (the female's pics didn't turn out so well) as a hatchling, and as a yearling. Should be fun to see him as an adult.

-Kat

Attachments

• hikaru.jpg
    hikaru.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 161
  • hikaru2.jpg
    hikaru2.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 161
Kat said:
The attached pictures are of the male (the female's pics didn't turn out so well) as a hatchling, and as a yearling. Should be fun to see him as an adult.-Kat

Boy, what a difference a year made.

There seems to be quite a few of these Blue Eyed or Ruby Eyed Ghost around. Many of them are linked to the Frosted Line of Andy Barrs and many of them are known to be Ultra Ghost.

This really goes to show everybody how many snakes get bought and sold and the lineages of them are lossed.

I kinda zoned out once it got to the hybrid discussion. Frankly I think Barr could have just as easily forgot, as many of us sometimes do, which project was which at the time and mixed up the ultras with the frosted hybrids. :duck:

Otherwise great read. Always good to have a history lesson now and again, especially for those of us who weren't around at the time.

Back