• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What is the dumbest thing you have ever heard?

JustineNYC

I know everyone here owns snakes and if you do, you no doubt have heard some incredibly dumb things from people who dont. Anything from people bragging about killing snakes just because they got onto their property, or just because they "dont like them"

Mine happened last year. My tenant had just had a baby and she told her step mom I was like the 'animal lady' and I owned snakes and her step mom flipped out.

Told her she needed to move because "the snakes would smell the baby's milk" and make their way down to her apartment.

:nope::nope::nope:

Whats the dumbest you have heard?

I heard/read something about hybrids that I thought was kind of stupid. The discussion was on my local craigslist pets so I am not sure if it really applies to this thread because it wasnt about snakes but I will share it anyway.
OK so this person has a dog/wolf mix the dad is the dog and the mom is the wolf. They claim the dog is 97% wolf because the genes from the mother are more dominant than those from the father. A couple of people challenged it and the OP said a vet had tested the DNA and the dog was in fact 97% wolf. LOL

Besides "They eat RATS?! But can't you feed them crickets or something like that?!" when talking about a boa? I'm not entirely sure! LOL. But I'm sure I can think of something a little later.

Same here, Robbie! Last week I got into a pretty heated argument with someone who claimed to be a zoologist and swore that I could convert my corns into eating insects instead of mice. Said it was inhumane of me to feed a fellow mammal to a reptile. She even asked me how I would like to be swallowed alive by one of my snakes. I had to explain to the "zoologist" that my snakes are constrictors and therefore would more than likely squeeze me to death before they swallowed me. Therefore, I wouldn't be alive when swallowed. I don't think she liked me much after that and has kindda disappeared from that section of the forum.

Same here, Robbie! Last week I got into a pretty heated argument with someone who claimed to be a zoologist and swore that I could convert my corns into eating insects instead of mice. Said it was inhumane of me to feed a fellow mammal to a reptile. She even asked me how I would like to be swallowed alive by one of my snakes. I had to explain to the "zoologist" that my snakes are constrictors and therefore would more than likely squeeze me to death before they swallowed me. Therefore, I wouldn't be alive when swallowed. I don't think she liked me much after that and has kindda disappeared from that section of the forum.

Unless that snake is a GIANT racer, that wouldn't happen. LOL. Racers are one of the few snakes that prefer their prey live while eating. So nice to hear of these "zoologists"! I'm glad she didn't identify herself as a "herpetologist". That would've just cooked my cookies.

But....but.....she's a zoologist! She's knows her stuff, man! She even explained to me how insects have the same amount of nutrients in them than a mammal! Mice are cute and have little personalities and just, how dare I!

But....but.....she's a zoologist! She's knows her stuff, man! She even explained to me how insects have the same amount of nutrients in them than a mammal! Mice are cute and have little personalities and just, how dare I!

At that point, I probably would have said "Well, I'm sure that an entomologist would claim that insects are cute, and have personalities, too! Now what should I do? Should I feed my snake something that it's likely to eat in the wild with a much higher nutritional, or should I feed it something insubstantial and have it die just so you can sleep better at night?".
I really don't deal well with people who claim to be experts but turn out to be idiots. LOL.

Her final say after she boo-hooed off was pretty much that owning snakes are wrong and we should just leave them in the wild where they belong.

Her final say after she boo-hooed off was pretty much that owning snakes are wrong and we should just leave them in the wild where they belong.

Doesn't that include chickens, cows, rabbits, sheep, dogs,etc as all animals are wild at one point of there existance and just because you buy cute little flopsy from the petshop doesn't mean it's not predisposed to be wild.

Given time, I could, probably, think of more "dumb" things that I have heard/seen... not sure out ~the~ dumbest though.

However, for now, the first one (snake related), that pops into my head, is when someone asked how they should/could go about converting their snake into a vegetarian.

'Course, then are those usual items, of misinformation, like: A snake will not grow bigger than whatever tank/container they are placed in (i.e. a baby Boa, or Python, will not outgrow a 5 or 10 gallon tank if placed in one) ... snakes can be fed insects as the main staple of their diet ... snakes ~must~ be fed live prey (vs. p/k or f/t) ... and etc., etc.

When I was in vermont, I was at the only pet store in the city getting feeders. Someone asked about a corn snake there and the owner says "Oh baby corn snakes don't shed".
Also, this is not corn snake related, but some 25-30 year old year old guy asked the pet store clerk if they had any "invisible lizards". He proceeded to say, "you know, the ones that turn invisible." When the clerk asked, "Do you mean a chameleon?" the customer responded "yeah that's it! Do you have any of those?" Not only was he going to impulse buy, but he was legit about actually thinking they turned invisible (instead of just changing their color to blend in). I thought he was just joking or used the wrong word. He wins the Darwin Award, in my opinion.

My first snake, who was only about 2 months old, escaped her viv on the second night I had her. I was devastated, seriously, I cried for two days. A few months later I was talking to my MIL and told her the story and she asked, "Aren't you afraid for your kids knowing that it's loose in your house?"

She was no bigger around than my pinkie finger, unless she crawled through some toxic waste int he basement and developed the ability to shoot lasers from her eyes, I'm pretty sure my kids are safe.

:nope:

my bff said if i get another corny, I should save the money and just put them in the same tank. i then proceded to tell her about co habbing and showed her the pics. but then 3 days later she said i should get two more corns and put them together because "if one eats the other you'll still have two"
WHY! Oh why am i friends with her! lol xD

"Wait-- wait stop! Why are you kissing it? I'm pretty sure you can get e.coli from touching a snake."

--an ignorant chick down the hall from me :duck:

I told her that no, I could not get e.coli from kissing my pet corn snake, but she was very persistent on the matter! Kept shaking her head and telling me I shouldn't handle my snake so closely. :laugh:

I know I've dealt with a lot of stupid comments and experiences but I can't remember them right now, except for a lot of people thinking my corn snake at work is a rattlesnake.

I walk around with him(Amel corn) around my neck at work and they say "Is it poisonous?" or "Is it a rattlesnake?" Now why would I have it around my neck if it was venomous snake? Also why would I be leting little kids touch it if it was venomous? People amaze me with their stupidity sometimes, I mean come on people just use a little come sense, lol.

She was no bigger around than my pinkie finger, unless she crawled through some toxic waste int he basement and developed the ability to shoot lasers from her eyes, I'm pretty sure my kids are safe.

:nope:
LOL!!!

I walk around with him(Amel corn) around my neck at work and they say "Is it poisonous?" or "Is it a rattlesnake?" Now why would I have it around my neck if it was venomous snake? Also why would I be leting little kids touch it if it was venomous? People amaze me with their stupidity sometimes, I mean come on people just use a little come sense, lol.

I know what you mean. Whenever someone hears that I keep snakes they always ask "But snakes are poisonous, why would you want to keep them?!" Uhhh... sometimes it's not even worth arguing.

Another annoyance is the know nothing people in the reptile department at pet stores. I was looking a Sinaloan one day only to have a guy march up and pretend he know everything about this "Somalian Milk". He was wrong and inaccurate in just about every aspect. :nope:

Back