CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Newbie- how did our first handling go?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-25-2018, 12:38 PM   #1
Ashirah
Newbie- how did our first handling go?

Hi everyone. Just wondering how you think this went/ how we did: We (8 year old daughter and I) got our girl 5 days ago, she's 2 years old, pretty good sized, and used to a lot of handling, including by kids. I know we're a bit shy of the 7 days mark, but figure we could try it as she's been held regularly since babyhood. So we picked her up the way we've been reading and watching videos on- supported the most we could, from the middle of her body.
Held her only about 3 minutes to keep it short. She didn't try to bite at all but definitely didn't seem very comfortable, not lying still at all but immediately stretching way out so that I had to really keep moving my hands to keep her supported. Also really wanted to burrow into clothes and just seemed like she wanted to hide in general. I had held her one other time, with her previous owner right before buying her, and she was a lot calmer. So I think she is still nervous and getting settled in, but am wondering if holding her more often or less often is the answer right now? Just a little confused about this, as it seems that both too much and too little can cause problems.
She'll be due for a first feeding in a few days, and I know some folks say to wait until after the feeding, but again, I know she was used to lots of handling already and had never been a picky eater, so I thought a short handling would be okay.
Anyways, we are super happy with her and looking forward to a long and good relationship. Have never had any reptiles, so this is the beginning of the journey. (Still choosing between Sunset and Marigold for names, both for her red coloring!) Thanks.