CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Bad/Incomplete Shed: What To Do

Old 12-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #121
jakkipaige
ok cause she was flaking before and she shed her full head and about 2 inches down her neck but its all pieces now and flaky the lower part of her body seems to be shedding slower.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #122
amysue.hannon
I'm not sure what to do....I did everything exactly like you said...my snake FREAKED out...she hated every minute of it...when I opened it up after only 15minutes...she was coiled up tightly in a corner and didn't even want to come out! Usually when I take off the lid she climbs right out into my hand and she wouldn't even move! I don't know what to do...it looks like it may have helped with the shed...but will she get better with time because if she doesn't shed that well again I'm not too sure what to do...I don't want to stress her out...

Old 01-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #123
gsdbecca
Next time she goes blue, put a humid hide in her viv.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #124
amysue.hannon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdbecca View Post
Next time she goes blue, put a humid hide in her viv.
right now she is only a baby still so she is in only a 10g tank so there isn't much room...any suggestions on what I could do for a humid hide that won't take up much room?

Old 03-07-2013, 06:06 AM   #125
BitterFox
Hey guys

Recently my boy went through a bad shed. It's pretty normal for him to not completely shed the very tip of his tail, which I usually get off easily with a couple wipes of a damp towl. This time though it's the other way around. He lost a scale on his head and the tip of his face/nose didnt shed. I'm wondering if it's not more than one shed, but I'd like to think I've been more attentive at checking his sheds then that.

His cage is in my room so I have to hear him huff air out his nose every now and then because of the stuck shed. The problem I'm having is that leaving him in a bin/towl doesnt work well since he just keeps his head above water. And when I try to run a wet swab down his head he absolutly hates it, and it ends up not working so well in the end anyway.

Should I just continue the water filled bin treatment and hope after a couple soaks it comes off? Or would it be better to up the moisture in his viv during his next shed and hope that it comes off then? He's been huffing air out his nose more recently just today, though, so I'm not sure that second option will sooth my own worries about it.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:29 AM   #126
bitsy
When you put him in the bin to soak, try this:

An hour before putting him in, lay an old towel or two on the bottom of the bin. Pour in enough water to make them sopping wet, but *not* to create a layer of free water sloshing about. Cover all air holes/vents (I use clingfilm for smaller tubs) and put the tub on a heat source like a UTH to warm up. You're basically creating a snakey sauna and really building up the humidity inside that tub. After about an hour, check that the temp is in the mid-80s, pop the snake in and uncover a few of the air holes/vents. Leave the snake in the tub for at least an hour. You should find that the humidity softens the stuck shed, the towels give him something to rub against to try and get it off, and he isn't going to be able to escape the moisture in the atmosphere. If you crumple the towels slightly, he might even try burrowing to get under cover, which would be really helpful in trying to soften/dislodge that stubborn snout shed.

Good luck!

Old 03-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #127
wildlifephotographer
Nanci- my new baby tesserra male Maverick- just had a bad shed 3 days ago and I've been trying to rub the old skin off but it's his face area/eyes and back of neck that didn't completely come off instead of the lower end of him. I can't seem to get it off with shed ease and rubbing it with a paper towel or regular hand towel. With such a little baby snake does the method in this post work? If not do you have any suggestions that I could try?

Thanks,
Anjeanette Porter

Old 03-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #128
Nanci
I would either do repeated 20 minute soaks, or, did you see the thread about Krinkle that I posted recently? Instead of soaking him with a washcloth, I put him in his feeding bin with very wet sphagnum moss, like you'd use for a lay box. That really got it loosened up. If you don't have any, it's the Orchid Moss that Lowes and Home Depot sell. Then see if you can peel backwards from the neck up??

Old 03-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #129
wildlifephotographer
Thanks, I will try the soaks and see if that works.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #130
wildlifephotographer
I have him in a small deli cup with thick pieces of paper towel soaked with nice warm water. He's been in there for around 5-7 minutes and trying already to get it off himself by rubbing but he's having a hard time of it from what I can see. Hope he ends up getting it. He's been gaping at the mouth off and on and has a popping sound> I figured it was because of the bad shed with the face/snout area.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
shedding problem