CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Getting old...

Old 06-04-2016, 07:11 PM   #31
axis1
Ok, so I DID overreact. . .er, a little. I think. Maybe. Ok. I did. My bad.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:09 PM   #32
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis1 View Post
And you might have me by a few years dude, but I remember BASIC, because I owned a PET!!! Might not be as old as that device you mentioned, but either one when switched on would probably boot up to the same blinking cursor(actually, you PROBABLY had one of the first personal PC's, but the PET ONLY operated in BASIC - Beginner's All-Purpose Instruction Code, if I remember correctly - see, some of my synapses are OK though I can't for the life of me figure how or why!).

Ahh . . these strolls down memory lane make me wanna throw on some Floyd and light up a doob!! Those were the days, huh?
Actually, the Exidy Sorcerer booted into the operating system CP/M. Remember that one? That was pre-Microsoft DOS.

Basic had to be loaded as a program. Via audio tape, no less. I used to tie into "The Source" in Virginia with a 300 baud modem. Those were the good old days when you could actually read the text as it scrolled across the screen in real time. Then I went to a 1200 baud modem, and it's never been the same since.

I think I still have a couple of boxes of REAL floppy disks. The 8 inch variety.

Now I look at these little 64 gb microSD cards the size of a fingernail and you have to wonder what things will be like 20 years from now. Who would have ever thought 20 years ago that we would be watching satellite weather features in nearly real time and using Google Earth to virtually drive down nearly any road you want to as well as fly over spots you will certainly never visit in real life. And who ever would have thought that nearly every living human being would wind up with having a cell phone virtually grafted to their head? Back in my day, you used to tell when someone was crazy and talking to themselves. Or someone was drunk while driving down the road. Now, it's a good chance they are on a cell phone. Go figure...

Speaking of Pink Floyd, a long while back Connie and I were living in a townhouse, and are neighbors were playing their TV or stereo pretty loud at 3am. So I got pissed. I turned my own speakers to face the wall between them and us, and cranked up Dark Side of the Moon so the hearbeat pretty nearly cracked the drywall. I thought I heard someone screaming over there, but the sure as heck shut down their own noise after that.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:11 AM   #33
axis1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post

Speaking of Pink Floyd, a long while back Connie and I were living in a townhouse, and are neighbors were playing their TV or stereo pretty loud at 3am. So I got pissed. I turned my own speakers to face the wall between them and us, and cranked up Dark Side of the Moon so the hearbeat pretty nearly cracked the drywall. I thought I heard someone screaming over there, but the sure as heck shut down their own noise after that.
Just hadda cruel thought: if you had Ummagumma you could have played "Careful With That Axe Eugene!" but that might've resulted in a call to 911 from SOMEONE! (Dammit I've just GOTTA have a mean streak in me to even THINK of something like THAT! Is that a part of getting old also?)

Old 06-24-2016, 11:25 PM   #34
axis1
1st Time I'm Happy The Limeys Won!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Well, I guess this now comes full circle about me being old.

I saw Led Zeppelin in concert when they were just the warm-up band for Vanilla Fudge. I think that was in Wildwood, New Jersey if I remember correctly.
I'm GLAD they were acquitted (even though it's hard to believe there was a case in the first place)!

Also sad that most young'uns don't even know what the fuss was about! (Probably because almost EVERYTHING nowadays is sampled!).

OK. Now I feel old also!

Is membership to this club still open?

Old 06-24-2016, 11:27 PM   #35
axis1
BTW

Did you also see or remember seeing Spirit with Vanilla Fudge?

(Most folks would thinks that's a strange question).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google