CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

my adult female hasn't eaten since I moved, concerned

Old 06-27-2016, 04:25 PM   #1
tinytinydoe
Unhappy my adult female hasn't eaten since I moved, concerned

Hi y'all-

A couple months ago, I moved back to Chicago, and since then my sweet Madoka hasn't eaten. Originally I (stupidly) had her terrarium near a window, which I've since moved across the room away from the window, but she still hasn't eaten even after moving her. She seems to have lost some weight as well. One thing I've noticed is that she's been behaving a little oddly, bumping up against the glass all the time. She's normally pretty active, but it's almost obsessive. The end of her snoot is even a little "callused", which I only noticed very recently.

Since I moved her, temps have been good. Cool side was 78 and warm side was 83 last I checked. Her last shed was totally complete, and I feel like she might be due to shed soon but doesn't look like she's about to or anything. I had been feeding her frozen rat pups (thawed obviously), which previously had never been an issue. I've also never had an issue feeding her on a weekly basis before. Her tank is a 30 gallon breeder (18"x36" footprint), so I don't think that the tank is too small or anything.

I've tried to feed her multiple times, and she's acted completely disinterested whereas before she would go for the rat pup immediately. I'm concerned that something bigger is the issue here. I'm admittedly pretty worried. I appreciate any help!!

Old 06-27-2016, 05:45 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
Take her to a vet.

There's not a lot a bunch of people on a message forum can do for you and your snake. She could be about to shed, she could be ill, your temperatures could be off, (I know I know you already stated the temps are ok. I wish I had a nickel for every time people have told me that only to discover they're not).

You stated - "She seems to have lost some weight...." You don't know? Do you not weigh her? Most of us do.

I can tell you she will eat when she's hungry or able to. I can't tell you what is wrong with her. Sorry.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:01 PM   #3
tinytinydoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
Take her to a vet.

There's not a lot a bunch of people on a message forum can do for you and your snake. She could be about to shed, she could be ill, your temperatures could be off, (I know I know you already stated the temps are ok. I wish I had a nickel for every time people have told me that only to discover they're not).

You stated - "She seems to have lost some weight...." You don't know? Do you not weigh her? Most of us do.

I can tell you she will eat when she's hungry or able to. I can't tell you what is wrong with her. Sorry.
I wasn't sure if I should go to the vet yet, but I definitely will. Luckily there is an exotic animal vet nearby. I know no one here can diagnose or anything over the internet of course, but I just wasn't really sure where to proceed. I will also start weighing her consistently, I definitely need to do it more often.

Thank you so much, I appreciate it!!

Old 06-27-2016, 06:03 PM   #4
DollysMom
Unless the terrarium was in direct sunlight, just being near a window in and of itself should not be a problem. I can't add to what Karl said. If you want some recommendations for reptile vets in this area, please let me know and I'll PM you.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:55 PM   #5
axis1
Hi there tinydoe!

Just curious: have you tried to feed her with rat pups or with regular mice? I know that once they get a taste for rats, it can be a challenge to switch back to mice for some.

Just a thought. I fed my adult snakes small rats for about 2 years and it was a combination of mating season and the availability of mice only that resulted in all but my gravid female losing weight this year. All of them refused a mouse today, now that I think about it, but don't know if it has anything to do with what we're talking about. Sometimes snakes can just be fussy, or so it seems. At least, captive snakes can be, that's for sure!

Old 06-28-2016, 12:41 AM   #6
Rich Z
If she is prowling the cage but not interested in eating, she just might be hankering for some male companionship.....

Old 06-28-2016, 02:16 PM   #7
WillowBug
tinytinydoe I hope you find out what is going on with your snake

Old 06-30-2016, 12:54 PM   #8
tinytinydoe
Hi all-

Just took her in to the vet today. They were able to force feed her, did an xray and it looks like she may have eggs! Not totally certain but I'm going to get a lay box set up for her just in case. Hopefully it's just that! Thank you all for the help!!

Old 06-30-2016, 01:56 PM   #9
DLena
Good Lord! Keep us posted. Maybe she needs a lay box?

Old 06-30-2016, 02:35 PM   #10
WillowBug
keep us posted tinytinydoe

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google