CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Going On Vacation. Is this a good plan?

Old 07-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
Peanut Lover
Question Going On Vacation. Is this a good plan?

I am going on vacation for 9 days total. This is the first time me going away while owning my corn snake. Peanut is a baby (17 inches long) and I usually feed him 1 pinky every 5 days. I fed him on Monday and i'm leaving today (Friday). Even though its only been 4 days I was gonna feed him today and then have one of my roommates change his water every other day while
I'm away. Does this sound like a good/safe plan?

Old 07-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
ScottyK
Your vacation plan is fine. My concern is that you are still giving a 17" snake only one pinky at a time.

Depending on it's age/girth you should probably be giving it fuzzys or possibly even hoppers by now. Is this a 2010 snake?

Old 07-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
idloveaguinness
Interested in hearing the responses as well....and what about NOT planning on having someone checking in on the snake? I had read here that an extra bowl of water is all they need. And at the threat of a hijack (sorry peanut lover....it's related, right?)....what about a 14 day vacation plan? IE - when to feed before the trip and how to set up the tank?

Old 07-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
Nanci
How long are you going to be gone for? The problem with feeding him now is you won't be monitoring him. So he could poop in his water bowl and not have fresh water.

Changing his water via roommate is asking for an escape. I would put in two good-sized bowls of water and leave instructions _not_ to open his viv except in case of emergency. I cannot tell you how many times I have read of a snake that was being babysat escaping due to someone not closing the viv correctly.

If he only misses one meal while you're gone, that is not going to hurt him at all.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:45 PM   #5
Nanci
If I was leaving a snake for 14 days, I would feed 4 days before leaving and unplug the heating device on the day I left, assuming the house would stay in the 70-80F range while I was gone. I'd leave two BIG bowls of water.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
idloveaguinness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
If I was leaving a snake for 14 days, I would feed 4 days before leaving and unplug the heating device on the day I left, assuming the house would stay in the 70-80F range while I was gone. I'd leave two BIG bowls of water.
Thanks, Nanci. Yup....My guess is that the house will be 75-85 while we're gone if these temps keep up.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #7
Peanut Lover
My roommate loves him, is not afraid of him, and knows how to put the lid/clamps on. I have never seen him poop in his water before so I'm not too worried about it but I will put an extra bowl in. And it's for 9 days not 14.

Thanks for the replies!

Old 06-28-2016, 09:42 AM   #8
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allenkain View Post
I went on a work trip for 4 nights/5 days when my LO was 13 months old. For me pumping twice a day - once in the morning and once in the night - was plenty to avoid engorgement and keep my milk from drying out. For you it may be different, but the point is, you don't need to pump every 3 hours while on Vacation In Florida. Unlike a younger infant, you don't need to maintain your supply full bore - even if your supply drops a bit while you're on vacation, when you're back with your son he'll nurse to get it back up to where he wants it to be. You might also want to get used to the pump by pumping a little beforehand leading up to the trip. Not every day because you don't want to amp up your supply too much before going on vacation, but maybe every few days. And that way you have a little milk stored up in the fridge that grandma can use at bedtime.
I think you might be confused at what forum you're on...

Silly bots. :P

Old 06-28-2016, 03:39 PM   #9
WillowBug
Peanut Lover I think your snake is cute what type of corn is he?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google