CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

my corn snake is on the heat pad all the time

Old 04-26-2018, 08:48 AM   #1
corn_snake_lover
my corn snake is on the heat pad all the time

hi, just wanted to see what you guys think i had my corn for 3 months now but i never had a heat pad i just had a 40 watt light and my snake was doing fine i have installed a heat mat about a week now with a thermostat VE200 is keeping the heatmat very toasty 82 to 84f i check the temp on the bottom with a cooking thermostat digital the ones that you stick in the turkey i also have a infrared thermometer anyways the anyways my snake is always in there the rest of the vivarium is between 75 to 78f so you think because she never had that option she never used it and she likes it there more?or should i increase the temp on the heatmat?

Old 04-26-2018, 05:32 PM   #2
Twolunger
It does sound like she enjoys her warm hide now. It's like when you go outside on a cool day in a teeshirt. You can still function but you may not really be comfortable. She was subsisting with the light, but now feels comfortable.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:33 PM   #3
corn_snake_lover
yea,it seems that way she hasn't missed a meal since i had her she shed twice in the last 3 months i had her,but before she was more active,its only been a week but the rest of the vivarium its 75 to 77 and most of the time is on the warm hide and she burrows but i don't see going around the tank but maybe she does,also she don't have a daylight now so i put a 18 inch flourescent reptisun 10.0 15 watt mainly to mimic sunlight but its over the screen and this screen is the ones zilla makes so hopefully my snake is not getting bothered so mainly i put it in there for the uva and not uvb so only 50 percent should be emiting right?

Old 04-27-2018, 01:56 AM   #4
Twolunger
Some corns are more active in late evening, or even nocturnal. Your fluorescent is low wattage and should fine. I very seldom see the wild corns in my area out in broad daylight. They are most active at dusk. You didn't mention taking her out and handling her. The corns seem to enjoy being handled and getting some exercise out of their vivarium. She may become more active after handling.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:52 AM   #5
corn_snake_lover
Ahh!! I take her out twice per week she's only 4 months old 2 feet in length still very young

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google