CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Some accidental herping in Kings Canyon National Park

Old 07-16-2007, 05:02 PM   #1
Blue Apple Herps
Some accidental herping in Kings Canyon National Park

I was in California vacationing last week and spend most of it in Kings Canyon backpacking. We spent three nights/four days in the back country. Wasn't expecting to see many herps, but saw a ton of lizards and one snake. No idea what the lizards, but the snake (I believe) is a California Mountain Kingsnake. These lizards were actually like rats; they were everywhere.

This was the only snake I saw; happened by chance, just saw a flash of red out of the corner of my eye and was able to grab him before he went under the rocks. He didn't bite or musk. Looked to be a yearling.

Anyways, someone want to help me identify the lizards and confirm the snake?

Old 07-16-2007, 05:34 PM   #2
Nanci
That is so cool! I'd probably die if I actually caught a kingsnake...

Nanci

Old 07-16-2007, 05:45 PM   #3
texastailfeathers
I think the lizard is a spiny lizard.

http://images.google.com/images?svnu...q=spiny+lizard

Old 07-16-2007, 08:59 PM   #4
DaGiant
Beautiful King...
The 2nd lizard looks like a good old obnoxious
aligator lizard that has his tail regrowing..
They are all over the place...

Old 07-17-2007, 12:38 AM   #5
TandJ
The king might be a Zonata.. Not sure though, I think the Zonata are only in the San Bernadino mountain Range.. Not sure where King County, although I suspect further up northern Cali considering the nice lush green, instead of the burnt up and dried out desert I am used to seeing..

Nice finds anyway and thanks for sharing the pictures..

Regards.. Tim of T and J

Old 07-17-2007, 01:35 AM   #6
Blue Apple Herps
So we have a vote for spiny lizard and aligator lizard. I'm not even sure these are the same species of lizard. Their body shape and coloration are so different; but I suppose it could just be color variation and size differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandJ
The king might be a Zonata.. Not sure though, I think the Zonata are only in the San Bernadino mountain Range.. Not sure where King County, although I suspect further up northern Cali considering the nice lush green, instead of the burnt up and dried out desert I am used to seeing..

Nice finds anyway and thanks for sharing the pictures..

Regards.. Tim of T and J
Thanks! I did a search for Zonata and came up with this: http://www.kingsnake.com/king/zonata/multicincta.html

A Sierra Mountain Kingsnake. Looks like the California Mtn Kingsnake ahs a Sierra subspecies, which seeing as this was found in the Sierras is probably it. (Here's the page of the subspecies I found if you're interested: http://www.kingsnake.com/king/zonata/zonata.html)

And thanks for the kind words about the pics. I get jealous seeing all these other herping pictures. I spend soooooo much time outdoors and have only seen probably 5 snakes, including this one. It's neat to finally be able to share.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:17 AM   #7
texastailfeathers
Oops, I only saw the first lizard. I didn't even notice the second pic. I think the first one (the lighter one) is a spiny lizard.

The second one (with the stubby tail) could be an alligator lizard...but I don't know for sure. Never seen one.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:44 AM   #8
tom e
When I was a kid, I'd have said those are a couple of old blue bellies. (lol)

I would say fence swift on the first and spiny lizard on the second. Is there a difference? Maybe fence swift is just a general term for sceloperous spp. Neither is alligator lizard though. As for the king snake I just don't know..

That first one looks gravid though. I've hatched these before when I was a kid and didn't even know I had eggs in the viv.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:52 AM   #9
Pruddock
Great pics Matthew. Congrats on the finds, that kingsnake is really a beautiful specimen. I really like the blue belly on that first lizard too (whatever it is ). I'll keep working on planning that trip in the fall and hopefully we can find a few more snakes in Tejas!

Old 07-18-2007, 05:59 PM   #10
sam11293
Cool

awwwww that is so cool i wish i had a chance to see that kind or snake whatever it is but sorry dont know what they are sorry

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google