CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Corn snakes & cancer

Old 01-10-2020, 10:04 AM   #1
Artemisia
Corn snakes & cancer

Hello,

Firstly, I want to thank all of the corn snake breeders, keepers and enthusiasts for all the thoughtful questions and answers on this forum. I'm hoping you can help me this time!

I have kept corn snakes since 2008, and am having so much heartbreak that my lovelies keep developing cancer. The quick (tl;dr) question for you folks: is this common for corn snakes in your experience?

Longer story: I have had a total of 4 snakes develop internal cancers (not all at the same time), 2 confirmed via necropsy, 2 suspected due to same symptoms. They were 6, 10,11 and 13 years old, never bred, housed single, husbandry confirmed ok by vet. The necropsy results were awful, and it breaks my heart to think what they might have experienced. The cancers were believed to have started in the ovaries for the 6 year old, and the pancreas for the 10.

The vets in my city have been trained in reptile care, but they lack experience due to few keepers bringing in their snakes. They seem amazed that a corn snake can make it to 10 years, while I thought with the proper care, these snakes can live 15-20 years? My snakes are definitely not dying of old age.

Since the topic of cancer and issues with older snakes is not on forums or books I have searched, I have begun to question everything about my husbandry. I keep thinking it's my fault. If any of you know of anything I can do or eliminate, please let me know.

I could go on (and on hehe), but I'd like to keep this initial post short. I can give details about the snakes, husbandry & home environment if needed. I look forward to learning more from owners and breeders on this forum. Thank you.

Old 01-23-2020, 12:18 AM   #2
pitzMike
What is the opinion of the vet regarding that? They could probably provide some insights where and how it came to be? I think external factors can only affect Cancer indirectly. Are the snakes related in any means?
Cant provide info since Ive only been keeping Cornsnakes for 5 years.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google