CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Corn Snakes in Georgia

Old 09-20-2018, 08:04 PM   #1
Jbabycsx
Corn Snakes in Georgia

Do I understand the law correctly in that Corn snakes of all types are illegal to own in Georgia?

Old 09-20-2018, 08:37 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
If there are pet stores or pet expos selling them in Georgia, then obviously they are legal. And corn snakes are currently the number 1 selling snake for pets, so if you can't find anyone selling in Georgia, then they are probably illegal.

The way I understand the law, you can't keep a wild caught snake. If it's produced from a breeder, that's different. But to be sure, see if you can buy them anywhere in Georgia. That should tell you right away. I'm in Tennessee, and all the chain stores here have them.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:46 PM   #3
Jbabycsx
I think Georgia has some weird law about owning any native non venomous species no matter where it comes from (breeder or wild caught). You can own Kingsnakes but not a Kingsnake that is native to Georgia. I guess my real question is are there certain corn snakes that aren’t native to Georgia that can be owned here? I found a male and female Anery pair that I really want!

Old 09-20-2018, 08:52 PM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
as I stated, call your local pet stores and ask them if they carry corn snakes. They will be able to tell you if they are legal or not.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:59 PM   #5
Scrappyeddie77
https://gadnrle.org/laws-native-wildlife

And now you know why the St. John’s river flows north. Georgia sucks

Just picking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-20-2018, 10:49 PM   #6
Shiari
They are illegal to own. A breeder on this forum had to sell all his animals when he was moving to Georgia.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:55 AM   #7
mcnann_fam
Georgia is very strict on their snake laws. My hubby had to get rid of his beloved snake when he lived in Georgia.

This is from June 2018

According to Georgia law, it is illegal to possess or kill any non-venomous snake. The charge is a misdemeanor, but it can be punishable by a fine of up to $1,000 and one year in jail. (O.C.G.A. 27-1-28)

Old 09-21-2018, 12:13 PM   #8
Twolunger
It is illegal, but people keep them anyway. My son had to dispose of all his corn snakes when he moved to Georgia. I can understand a state wanting to prohibit people from taking native snakes from the wild, but can't understand why a person can't keep a legally purchased snake. I know what I'd do, considering all the illegal activities conducted by those in power in the intelligence services. Unless you try to sell snakes in Georgia, who would even know that you have them?

Old 09-21-2018, 12:46 PM   #9
Rich Z
In reference to kingsnakes in Georgia, be careful of definitions when it comes to "species". The law might not recognize subspecies, making a California king snake just as illegal to possess as an eastern chain king.

Old 09-23-2018, 11:53 AM   #10
Corning
Move! Leave that speciesism/ speciesist state!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google