CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Where did everybody go?!

Old 10-10-2018, 12:19 AM   #31
insomniac101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
I really wasn't sure how I would take it when I decided to retire the business, but honestly, it is quite nice not having a bunch of animals dependent on us.
I suppose that was a silly question. After so many years of being responsible for hundreds of snakes, it probably feels good to have some freedom! For my husband and I to go anywhere requires strategic planning for the four dogs, snakes, and rodent colonies.

I could probably be happy without so many pets, if there were enough critters around here to enjoy outside. But it's Michigan weather, and a concrete jungle we live in.

Kathy

Old 10-10-2018, 12:31 AM   #32
insomniac101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
It's funny but until I started going to the reptile shows I didn't realize how many people kept snakes in your area.
I don't know of many people around here, but we're kind of close-mouthed about the collection. I guess I'm paranoid about getting burglarized if I tell people what I have. Actually, no one, other than a couple family members (and you guys, of course), even know I have snakes.

I don't know if the Taylor reptile expo was around when you were here. We usually go each month, just to look around, and chat with a few people. Snake people are weird!

Kathy

Old 10-10-2018, 12:36 AM   #33
insomniac101
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65BAJA View Post
. . . I definitely want a second snake.
Congrats! They're definitely addicting though; that second one may very well turn into five, or twelve, or twenty, or . . . .

I speak from experience!

Kathy

Old 10-10-2018, 01:13 AM   #34
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac101 View Post
I don't know of many people around here, but we're kind of close-mouthed about the collection. I guess I'm paranoid about getting burglarized if I tell people what I have. Actually, no one, other than a couple family members (and you guys, of course), even know I have snakes.

I don't know if the Taylor reptile expo was around when you were here. We usually go each month, just to look around, and chat with a few people. Snake people are weird!

Kathy
When I lived there my son knew most of the snake people. I had no interest in anything but the colubrids, but I listened to the people chat about their other snakes. There were quite a few boa and python breeders in that area. I don't want to offend anyone who loves them, but I turned down offers of free boas and pythons, just not my cup of tea. My son and his friends tried to tell me how valuable the snakes were, and they named morphs like sunglows or moonglows, or something similar that meant nothing to me.

I don't remember going to the Taylor show, just Romulus and Columbus. Besides snakes I raised chameleons, geckos, bearded dragons, and a host of other lizards, plus tortoises. I usually stocked up on crickets, roaches, meal worms, and super worms at the shows too.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:25 PM   #35
DeuceRon
It's neat to see so many people having so many different animals. I can certainly see how snakes can be addicting...can't wait to add a second corn to the household.. Never thought I would get into snakes..

Old 10-24-2018, 05:29 PM   #36
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceRon View Post
It's neat to see so many people having so many different animals. I can certainly see how snakes can be addicting...can't wait to add a second corn to the household.. Never thought I would get into snakes..
When I was young, neither did I.

Then when I did, I was certain I was the only person in the world really interested in snakes. I was flabbergasted to learn that there was even something like the Maryland Herpetological Society.

Of course, that was all in the pre-internet days.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:16 PM   #37
Twolunger
When I was about 10 years old exploring the woods and fields around my area I chanced upon a garter snake breeding ball. If you have never seen one, this thing was a mass of writhing snakes the size of a soccer ball. I thought I died and went to Heaven. I ran home and got a big box and captured the whole ball of snakes. I ran home only to find all of them but one had squeezed out the bottom of the box. I looked for a long time and never saw another sight like that. If I were that female garter I probably would have hid out too.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:53 PM   #38
Frank Pinello
As long as I remember I was always bringing frogs, toads, turtles an the occasional snake home. I wasn't until after I graduated from college (early 90s) that I started breeding corn snakes. It started after I purchase a book about corn morph back in '91 that got me interested. It became my main adult life hobby.

Old 10-26-2018, 05:02 PM   #39
MalinoisK9
It's been quite a while since I was on here last. Saw Dale's post on FB about Wade's passing and thought about 8-9 years ago and all the good times there were.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:52 PM   #40
melody
Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac101 View Post

Kathy
I'm also new. Where we are people avoid your house if they know you have snakes. Our nanny refused to clean our room for a while after we first got snakes.

Sent from my PRA-LA1 using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google