CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

dry regurgitation?!

Old 06-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #11
DMong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron1994 View Post
okay I will wait awhile before her next feed. She is so cute and beautiful if anything were to happen to her I don't know what id do with myself she is essentially my daughter right now <3
Yes, I totally understand. That is why it cannot afford another regurge episode whatsoever. Very young, small snakes especially simply cannot afford this, as it causes a disasterous "domino-effect" of yet more regurges until the cause is quickly addressed and taken care of. Also, when it IS time to try a very small meal in a good 7 to 10 days, it is a good idea to poke a bunch of tiny holes or slits in the pinky with a pin or razor blade to make them far easier for the snake to digest. Anything you can do to optimize digestion for a good while until it proves to be out of the woods is always a good thing to do.

good luck!

~Doug

Old 06-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #12
Drewby07
I second Doug's statement....I wouldn't be surprised if there is a regurge somewhere in the tub.

I've also had very ill snakes actually regurge water.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:35 PM   #13
DMong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewby07 View Post
I second Doug's statement....I wouldn't be surprised if there is a regurge somewhere in the tub.

I've also had very ill snakes actually regurge water.
That's correct Drew, in an enclosure full of say aspen bedding, the small remnant of a tiny pinky regurge can be hard to find quite often. It can dry up and get buried quite often without really being noticed or smelled. As you know, large fermentined rodents are virtually IMPOSSIBLE to not notice........PEEEUUUUUEEE!!!!!,and can stink up the entire room or house big-time!........wow do they wreak to high heaven!

~Doug

Old 06-28-2011, 09:25 PM   #14
Aaron1994
Maybe she swallowed some substrate, I never feed in the enclosure though always in a plastic tub. I also sifted through the Aspen substrate which I found no rotting carcasses lol. She is nesting though? if thats possible lol in the morning her cage is always a mess with mounds of aspen bedding all over the cage and a paper towel which I use to cover the heat pad from coming in direct contact with her has been dragged to the surface. She is also just a year old

Old 06-28-2011, 10:39 PM   #15
DMong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron1994 View Post
Maybe she swallowed some substrate, I never feed in the enclosure though always in a plastic tub. I also sifted through the Aspen substrate which I found no rotting carcasses lol. She is nesting though? if thats possible lol in the morning her cage is always a mess with mounds of aspen bedding all over the cage and a paper towel which I use to cover the heat pad from coming in direct contact with her has been dragged to the surface. She is also just a year old
I would definitely put the heating pad under the enclosure and tweek things if necessary to make absolutely CERTAIN the bottom surface of the enclosure itself (not the substrate on top of it) is kept at about 83-85 on one end only, and the cool side at an ambient room temp of around the mid 70's like most homes are. This means dialing it in good with an accurate temp probe or thermometer right ON the bottom surface where the snake will be, and maybe even rigging an adjustable rheostat(dimmer) to it, or raise it up slightly with some even sized spacers, etc....In other words, whatever it takes to get the temps right BEFORE the snake is put inside it.

Also a couple low, tight dark hides is extremely important. Then you can see if her behavior is more relaxed by making sure these important factors are met, and simply go from there. If it is too hot, snakes can act very weird like that. It would be like us panicking in the desert sun with no shade in site, desperately seeking better conditions. Snakes usually cruise around very adamantly, and struggle around messing things up if something in the basic husbandry department is not right.

~Doug

Old 06-30-2011, 06:54 PM   #16
Aaron1994
Oh nono, the heat pad is definitely under the tank not under the substrate.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google