CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

So feisty at first but then settles, input?

Old 07-06-2011, 06:34 AM   #11
StarpphireEnigma
de-stress i mean
it also could be the personality of your snake- its just how it goes sometimes- but as snake owners, we are obligated to give these animals what they would in the wild, and we are responsable for thier safty and comfort

Old 07-06-2011, 08:00 AM   #12
wretchedprocess
Some corns like to burrow. (And some like to climb, and some like to swim...) It's not something to discourage. I try to make sure my burrowers have plenty of aspen to hang out in, my climbers have plenty of fake vines to climb on, and everybody has plenty of hides. He won't be any more or less nervy if you take him out from under a hide than he is when you dig him up, but more Safe Places are always better!

Old 07-06-2011, 08:24 AM   #13
restes
I have had him for about 3 weeks now. I let him adjust to his tank for 5 days, then fed hime then let him rest another 3. After that, handling him was fine. Even the very day before he shed at night!

But now, his mood has changed so much in the last 2 days. He tries to escape like crazy when I reach to get him out. Once he is out he tends to calm down after 30secs to a minute. Yesterday I barely scooped him up by the back of his tail before he was to retreat under my dresser.

He was such a calm little guy before. I fed him yesterday, do you think this is a sign of hunger? It is rather upsetting.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #14
StarpphireEnigma
new snakes need to be cared for "as it comes"- the same was with my guy tatsu- youll find that if you let him be for a week with no handleing, sometimes thats enough to help him calm back down.
it could just be he is overwhelemed or underwhelmed- how big is his tank? could you send us a picture?-
so i would try, since you just fed him, to not bother him at all for about a week- give him his next feeding, wait a couple more days, minimal contact ( but you can let him see you and smell you- just dont bother him) then check in on him ( preferebly at night) , see if he has changed positions or is less aprehensive of being handled. if he is not ready, let him rest until after his next feeding and do the same. this is what worked for my tatsu, though he still seems so parnoid @@
dont worry- if he is eating, is energetic, is healthy over all, then you have a good snake. the biggist things to remember is 1, treat corns like an adhd person, and 2, have patience! if you are being aprehensive, it will only increase the stress on the snake.
when i open the tank, and let him know im there, i rub off some skin cells near where he is, keep movement slow, makesure i let him see me ( at this point you should be able to tell if they are going to handle being picked up- if they imediately retreat, try another day ( he still is threatened by you- its natural)- but if its a slow retreat after he looks at you, sniffs the air, then hes just being a baby) and then, as confident and carefuly as possible, i let him see im comeing, but i move in from behind because he tends to bite and pick him up in his mid section- i find it easier to coax him to move on his own first, that way hes not on the defensive- enevitably it becomes a drill and they may get used to it.
just keep trying, read your snakes signs of stress or relax- do the one week de-stress and go from there, repeat as nessisary. ive had mine for 9 weeks about, and only just now is he finaly calming back down to when we started out.

by the way, saw a pic of you boy- he is gorgious! he almost looks like he has pibald in him {'v'}

Old 07-06-2011, 01:45 PM   #15
restes
Thanks for the advice. I was worried that not handling him would be a bad thing. I am currently staying in a hotel for the summer (1 more month) and he is in a ~8 galon tank. I got him one of the bigger plastic tanks with snapping lid from Petco. It is well over the 1/2 his length rule and rather tall. Last week he was climbing and even hanging out on top of the branches. I really have no idea what set him off. He is staying hidden still and I will certainly leave him be for the 3 days.
Some questions:

When I put my hand in there for him to see if he recognizes it...is it bad to leave it still in front of him? How else should I do that? Should i put my hand flush to the ground?
I have his hides in corners of the tank so when I try to get him he is usually cornered so I can't get him from behind. (even if he is burried in the middle and I scoop him he still flees)

Old 07-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #16
StarpphireEnigma
dont put your hand in infront of him! causes him to strike- what i ment was rub your fingers on the top of the cage grate above him so he knows your there by smell and sound- snakes are not like dogs, they will keep most of thier natural instincts, so training is limited.
ill draw something to better discribe what i mean and post the pic- remember though, this is only a suggestion, as your snake seems to be acting similar to what mine does- in no way is this a rule to fallow all snakes, and you will have to be inventive and adaptive to your own snake

Old 07-06-2011, 02:01 PM   #17
StarpphireEnigma
snakes need small hides to feel inclosed and safe, but need space to feel comfortable in a tank( hunting instincs and the such) - he may be bored- how big is your next setup?

Old 07-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #18
restes
My plan was to buy a 30 galon setup next. I also see many 55 galon tanks for sale on classified ads. Which would you suggest?

Old 07-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #19
StarpphireEnigma
bigger is better with an active snake- im moveing mine to a 55 long tank lol

Old 07-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #20
StarpphireEnigma
sorry about the quality- scanner is broken- let me know what i can explain better

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google